Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 37 of 87 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Re: Oz build SS7

I went a little simpler and cheaper and found that the plastic drywall edge protector from Home depot has served me well for 11 years on my Series 5. Bruce N199CL

Kitfox sells the door edge protectors in stainless steel.
    Doug
    Super Sport
    912ULS
    Constant Speed IVOProp

Thanks for your advices on this. Nearly finished the taping on the fuselage and therefore, the covering! I must admit, the covering process started off being a bit daunting, but as usual, practice and asking heaps of questions resulted in an enjoyable learning curve and a reasonable job. We did find a Polyfibre workshop to be a useful introduction to the process and recommend it to others yet to start if possible. And as it has been for the other processes, we just get to be good at the job at the end! A lot to be said for having two projects on the go at once .........!!!

Anyway, a few days left to finish it off and get the poly brush coats sprayed before heading up to Bali for October!

thanks again guys

Ross
    Mt Beauty
    OZ

Been enjoying the story Ross, still hoping to get up there, at this rate it might be for the first flight!
    I loved the fabric process on my aeroplane ,really satisfying to see it come together
    Matty

Hey Matty,

You will be welcome whenever - we'll be in Bali in October though. Nearly finished the doors frames and little windows today. so the Fuselage is nearly done! But we keep getting dragged away for BBQ's and tomorrow for a last ski of the season - but we will get there! Agree that the covering has become rather enjoyable now we are comfortable with the materials.

cheers for now

Ross
    Mt Beauty
    OZ

Hey Ross,

I see you covered the side triangle windows too. When are you going to cut them open, before or after you paint?
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

HI Phil,
    yes, I think it will make it a bit neater finish. We have already cut them open and have them nearly finished. Hopefully later this afternoon and then a will post a triumphant 'End of Covering' pic! And thanks for the tips on the doors - I think they finished up ok.

Cheers

Ross
    Mt Beauty
    OZ

Default End of covering!

Well, we did it! Another milestone reached today with the covering completed. A lot of fiddly bits around the triangular windows but we are happy with the result. Couple of coats of Polybrush on the fuselage, then the Polyspray and all is ready for the topcoats!

cheers

Ross
    Mt Beauty
    OZ
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ok, so I got back from a few days away for work last night and this morning got to it and moved the fuselage into the spray booth for the the two spray coats of the Poly Brush. Fits in there nicely and I got one coat on all the fuselage this morning. That's it for today as its the AFL (Australian Football League) grand final this afternoon - it would be very un-Australian to work during that! I am watching the pre game entertainment and Tom Jones is the main act! A lot of grey hair but still pretty good! And he is performing in front of a crowd of 100,000!

Anyway, more tomorrow but for now ....Go the Sydney Swans!!!!!

cheers

Ross
    Mt Beauty
    OZ

Ross,

I cut open my triangle windows today and finished the preparation of my fuselage. I am planning on moving it to the paint booth where I work tomorrow. I'm taking a full week of vacation next week and am hoping to get the plane painted. Hopefully the temperatures cooperate. We just had a cold front pass through yesterday.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016