Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trim motor

Default Trim motor

I have a series 5 with the electric trim on the stabilizer. I adjust it as per the manual. It always goes up full stroke. I can not get it to stop at the required clearance. Any thoughts? Jim
    jezim@pro-ns.net

Default Re: Trim motor

Jim,

I will be watching your replies, as I have a Model 5 Vixen and a new trim motor/jack screw in hand to install with not much documentation.

Skot
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29

I have a series 7 but I think they are the same. The ballscrew always goes full stroke, but by adjusting the stem per the manual it will stop on the upper end where you want it to. You set the upper limit and the lower limit is not separately adjustable.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

My problem is with the up travel. I set it per the manual, run it down & when I run it up it goes full stroke. I can't adjust it the stop short. It always goes until it hits the tubing. Thanks for your input. Jim

Do you have the stabilizer installed and all the little links?
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Hi Jim
    Have you checked your wiring or possibly the switch? It should stop immediately when you release the rocker switch to neutral.
    A few years ago the switch stuck at full down (I believe we had something jammed on the switch when flying- Two guys winter gear)
    Anyway it ran to full stop and then burned out the motor. Still flyable but heavy controls.
    Take care
    Don

Hi Jim
    This was a Vixen.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Do you have the stabilizer installed and all the little links?
    Every thing is as the plans show.

Quote Originally Posted by kitfox2009 View Post
    Hi Jim
    Have you checked your wiring or possibly the switch? It should stop immediately when you release the rocker switch to neutral.
    A few years ago the switch stuck at full down (I believe we had something jammed on the switch when flying- Two guys winter gear)
    Anyway it ran to full stop and then burned out the motor. Still flyable but heavy controls.
    Take care
    Don
    It stops immediately anywhere when I release the switch. The up travel is supposed to stop 7/16 of an inch from full travel. Mine will go to full travel if the switch is held.

The black rod that moves up and down when you activate the motor is adjustable by screwing it in or out by hand when the links are disconnected. At full stroke up you screw it in or out until you have the 7/16 clearance, then reconnect the links so it can't turn. If you do this there is no way it can go beyond where you set it.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS