Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: K3 weight and balance

Default K3 weight and balance

Trying to figure the weight and balance for a K3 with the 13gal. rt. wing tank. I also have the round aluminum header tank behind the seat. Don't know what the ARM is in inches for the fuel tanks so I can do the calculations. I know its not the same as the K4 or earlier models with the dash tank. Can anyone help me with these numbers. I found an old thread that had a picture of all the data but could not read any of the numbers. Thanks

Default Re: K3 weight and balance

In all honesty you really need to start from scratch if you want accurate numbers. Pick your Datum plane, weigh the aircraft, then figure your W&B. It would be best for you to actually make all of the measurements rather than trying to scour the internet to see what other people have published. This is the only real way you will know exactly what you have and where the W&B is on YOUR aircraft.

If you need to brush up on how to calculate, this FAA document may be of assistance

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_polic...-h-8083-1a.pdf

How do I get the center of gravity of the wing tank?

My bad, didn't see the link. Guess I need to do my homework.

Since you have airfoil shaped tanks and no appreciable wing sweep, you can measure to the middle of the fuel tank. Remember that W&B is a theoretical formula assuming all the weight was balanced at one 1 Dimensional location in space. In reality your feet are outstretched to the rudder pedals and not all of your weight is centered on that point.

If you have foreflight Pro, it allows you to input all of your weights and arms and it does all the math for you. Then as you load baggage you can just enter the weight and the arm and it will automatically figure it in for you as well. But either way, the best thing to do would be start over fresh and take your own measurements. In the end you will know for sure where your particular aircraft is for MAC, then adjust load/supplies as necessary to stay within the envelope

Thanks Timberwolf, Thats just the info I was needing to proceed. I'll let you know how it goes in a few days. Got to do it outside, raining everyday here in Florida.