Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Build log, A/W inspection

Default Build log, A/W inspection

I'm in the final assembly stage of completing a KF IV Speedster. This project was purchased 2 years ago in the form of a complete, un-started project. Early in the build I visited my local D.A.R. to get a feel for Build log requirements. He advised me to go brief and simple so based on his expert advice I went home and did exactly what he suggested.

So after 2 years of off and on build activity I'm just about ready to go for A/W inspection. The build log I've developed populates about 16 pages of word document with approximately 60% text and 40% photos. Around 1300 hours logged.

The problem:
    My D.A.R. is being overcome with medical problems and I'm going to have to find another way to get this A/W inspection. I'm wondering if my brief and simple Build log will be considered satisfactory to an administrator from the Albany, NY FSDO.

Comments welcomed. If possible it would be helpful to look at Build logs done by other builders who have been successful with completing the A/W inspection. I've seen some internet build logs that seemed to be "overkill" on detail with task descriptions broken down into increments of less than an hour in some cases. At this point I'm trying to decide if my build log should be improved or just go "AS-IS".

Default Re: Build log, A/W inspection

My logs were pretty informal, did not track tasks or time. I initialed pages of the build manual as I went and took pictures along the way, had no issues.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I would just use what you have already put together. the build log really only serves one purpose as far as the FAA is concerned and thats just to prove that you did the work. I passed my inspection about 3 weeks ago and after taking about 16 gigs of photos along the way and putting together an extensive log all the DAR wanted to see was just one picture with me and the plane the rest was never even looked at. It sounds to me that what you've already done will be plenty for the FSDO

good luck on the inspection.

I may be wrong on my thinking, but my take on the AW inspection is to verify that the airplane is built according to standards and appears airworthy. Then comes the issuance of the Repairmans Certificate. That I think is the main reason for the build log - to prove you were the builder. At least that was my motive in preparing the documentation. Mine was informal without hours and dates but did contain photos, some of which showed me working on the project. It also , of course, had the pages showing the registration, W/B and the various spreadsheets showing pitot static test results and ASI verification. My guy was from the Sacramento FSDO. I don't remember him looking at it either.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Tommy,

In my opinion....there is some evidence that you will see some variability among DARs...how long they spend on the task, what they look at, etc.

Highwing is right on. The inspection is to determine airworthiness according to experimental standards (in the case of experimental aircraft anyway). The role a builder's logs play in this is only part of the airworthiness determination - registration, W/B other records inspection of the airplane probably play a bigger role.

The DAR is trying to assure two questions get answered. Did you build it and will it fly. I think my DAR looked at the builders logs but the 14 hour (you read it right) inspection was spent mostly on other paperwork, inspection of the airplane, quizzing me quite a bit.

I don't know of any builder who's plane was inspected where the DAR was concerned about the form and format of the logs....anything from complex to concise, electronic to steno notebooks but they all liked pictures particularily with the builder working on the plane.

The people who did look through my builders logs was the district office guys when I went to get my repairman's certificate.

The Kitfox builder's manual with places for dates & signatures seems meet what they want to see for logs plus some photos.

Personally I doubt that your log as is would be a problem - I wouldn't go back and improve it; doing so might inspire questions rather than help. It's sort of like writing a term paper in college....volume doesn't necessarily get you a better grade.

I think you will be fine; but, if in doubt - call up the district office and see what they say.

The only way to answer the question " I'm wondering if my brief and simple Build log will be considered satisfactory to an administrator from the Albany, NY FSDO." - is to call the FSDO; but, based on the experience of some of us, I doubt that you will have any problem.

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive
    Last edited by Dave S; 10-28-2014 at 04:41 PM.

you are required to have some photos if not you might get a statement from the DAR that you have been working with. The DAR community is close in most areas.
    You will be dealing with the MIDO ( Manufacturing Inspection District Office) for your Airworthiness certificate. the FSDO will do the repairmans certificate.
    Keep a copy of the FAA Form 8130-6 Application, FAA Form 8130-12
    this is good proof for your repairmans cert.
    contact me if you need help david@kelm.com

David Kelm A&P,IA,DART,DARF

if you are north of Westchester Co. contact the Boston MIDO
    781 238 7179 they can get yoy a list of local DARFs to help.

Google " FAA DAR List" and look for a Manufacturing DAR close

David