Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Paper chart vs iPad for VFR

Default Re: Paper chart vs iPad for VFR

Foreflight is nice and worth the money but if you dont have the iPad ect to start with then it can be expensive to switch from paper to touch screen. I have the iFly 720 that i use now, its a moving map touch screen that requires no external GPS antenna, such as the (bad elf). I still keep a tac/sectional everywhere i go, and it has come in handy a few times(plus more fun). I learned to fly with paper charts and the ol compass and e6b and you really feel invested in your calcs because they have to be right on or your screwed.

The biggest advantage to the Foreflight, or any of the other electronic gadgets is the airport info available, frequencies, runways, altitudes, hotel info, rent car info, restaurants, fuel cost etc. The are also great on long cross countries. It definately helped me pick my way through the Rockies in Wyoming and Utah to New Mexico on my trip to and from Homedale Idaho. It shows all of the obstructions, and passes through the obstructions, AKA Rockies. The Foreflight app also has weather, which helped on the way up and back. All the paper charts have is airport info. I was definately pleased I had my iPad with Foreflight on my Idaho trip from Texas.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Neat! I need one for sure. Believe it or not, but I own an old aviation sextant.

Quote Originally Posted by n85ae View Post
    Pick up a copy of "Air Navigation" from P.V.H Weems, it was the standard
    for Navigation leading into WWII and has a LOT of good info about dead
    reckoning, wind triangles, etc. NOT very likely but if you get into celestial
    nav it is in there also. Used copies on Ebay can be found pretty cheap. A
    very interesting book, with a lot of great info. The one I have is dated I
    think 1938. Hard to imagine, but a lot of them were far better navigators
    than any of us back in those days.

Jeff

Now EVEN with GPS, I still think paper should be part of the process.

I short cut my flight planning on paper process, by simply drawing lines, from
    point to point. Then I tick off every 10nm on the chart, and round everything
    off to within 5nm referenced off the tick marks by eyeball. I can calculate
    time/distance, and speed very fast this way. If you get rid of the odd
    distances (36nm) and use the closest 5nm (make it 35nm instead) you
    find that everything works out so closely from the air that your nav will be
    spot on.

You can do this in the air very easily as well, since ticking off every 10nm
    is simple to do. then just glance at the chart, and say - Ok XYZ is half
    between the 30, and the 40 tick marks so I'll just make it 35

Then just use the plotter indicated heading, and to heck with all the
    mag/wind corrections, and you then fly off the first 10nm, on the heading
    the plotter says. Figure out which way you are off, correct accordingly.
    Then voila you know the difference the plotter suggested and your real
    heading as it needs to be.

Since you are using 10nm tick marks, it's brain dead simple to calculate
    speed with the E-6B.

Checkpoints? Easy! ANY small town, lake. RR track, etc. is easy to mentally
    locate the 10nm mark's approx position relative to.

Now if you can't do that - Okay - You need GPS after all ...

I think half the reason that paper sucks so bad, is trying to do everything
    they teach you in training, and then finding out that the first checkpoint
    finds your calculated 72.3465 degree heading is really 85 degrees in flight.

If you just drew a line with the plotter and it says 75 ... Then just fly 75
    degrees until you figure out your course because of (unknown variables) is
    10 degrees off. Then just correcting the course is easy.

If you're flying GPS, and you aren't noting points on the ground, at least
    every 10nm or so anyway, IF and when your GPS craps out ... Then I
    guarantee you will NOT know where you are. Because I would wager 99%
    of the pilots will spent 15 minutes trying to get their GPS rebooted BEFORE
    they switch to looking at the sectional wondering "oh crap, now where
    am I"?

I'm pretty sure that's how it would be for most pilots, because that's
    exactly how I was flying with GPS before I got interested in paper.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Z View Post
    The biggest advantage to the Foreflight, or any of the other electronic gadgets is the airport info available, frequencies, runways, altitudes, hotel info, rent car info, restaurants, fuel cost etc. The are also great on long cross countries. It definately helped me pick my way through the Rockies in Wyoming and Utah to New Mexico on my trip to and from Homedale Idaho. It shows all of the obstructions, and passes through the obstructions, AKA Rockies. The Foreflight app also has weather, which helped on the way up and back. All the paper charts have is airport info. I was definately pleased I had my iPad with Foreflight on my Idaho trip from Texas.
    I have enjoyed reading the reports on the various viewpoints. I think they all have merit. The quote above is what is driving me. I used to buy the Western States version of Flight Guide. It was a quick reference for airports, altitudes, frequencies and facilities. I suspect the reason it is no longer available is because of the popularity of the electronic versions available now. This is the primary reason when I went to renew my subscription to to the IFly database and found their app for a tablet I went out and picked up a 7" Galaxy for $149. For some reason I need something in my hand that will give me what I want without reaching for and disabling my primary navigation device to search through menus.

I suspect one reason one size will never fit all is due to our particular flying situation. There are some areas of the country, I would be very intimidated without GPS and others without some sort of chart or both. My flying has been pretty much a repetitive set of destinations with some habits well established. I could easily get from my home to the factory in Idaho with nothing except the view out the window. I’d want something to remind me exactly where Fallon NAS was though.

Then to Jeff’s waypoint idea, I made up a spreadsheet form that I always use for every flight. It is folded in quarters for each leg or day of flying. When full on both sides, It is punched and put it in a 3 ring binder for future reference. In practice, it is mostly used to identify photos and video I have taken over the years. But I also use it to update my Pilot Log once a year.

The attached photo is a page from one of the Idaho Back Country flights showing the legs we flew one day. The way points were actually stops during the day when we were doing our exploring.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Here is the reason I like iPad with Foreflight I am approaching Laramie, Wyoming

This is me parked at the Laramie, Wyoming

I was trying to depart to get further down the road on my trip to Homedale, humm weather in the way!

Can't do this with Paper!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Paul Z; 11-04-2014 at 04:50 PM.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Here I am going through the Valley on my way towards Boise, then to Homedale. Humm, I can't fly too far North or South without climbing!

It really helps in both adverse weather, and getting through the mountains.

IMG_0765-2.jpg
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Here is the reason I like iPad with Firelight I am approaching Laramie, Wyoming
    Pretty sure you meant Foreflight

I've demo'd it and did really like it. But, I can't stand Apple products, I'm an android user all the way! Last I talked to the Foreflight rep, they are not willing to make an android version - even though it is the wider used operating system for tablets (62% vs 36% for Ipads). Oh well!

Yes I did the auto spelling correction corrected it, and I didn't notice. I'll agree with the Apple Product, I got addicted to the iPad. I have an Apple Mac Desktop, I keep hoping it craters. However, I have a HP desktop I don't use because I hate Window 8, I can't figure it out. I wish it had XP!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Hi guys
    I also don`t use Apple products but you may want to try AvNavEFB. It is an android app that seems to be very much like foreflight. You can use it for a month or so on trial. The cost is only about $5 month. Has all the US charts. Supposed to have Canada later.
    I used it for a short flight into the US and thought it was worth the money.
    Probably less expensive than paper charts.
    I use it on a Gallaxy Tab S with a matt finish screen saver. Not problem reading it on sunny days.
    I have NO connection with the manufacturer.
    Don