Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 87 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Oz build SS7 - Actuator fitted ... but ...

We have fitted the trim actuator. Interesting exercise in fitting washers - especially to the lower fitting!!! Learned the art of using small dops of super glue to locate wasshers - but must use carefully or the hole becomes a mess! Any insight to why the hose clamp on the collar of the actuator is so large? I think it must have been just what was available?? I am going to replace it with a smaller one as the 'tail' is too long and inviting something to get snagged on it.
    We have also set up the 'advisors corner' and had two of our hanger neighbours trying it out. John and Graham have a Mooney and a Bonanza and are a great support.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Oz build SS7

If you are planning on putting in a trim indicator now is a good time to think about it.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Very nice...I especially like the clean HYSOL fillets...great job! Oh, and 102 years old...That's awesome!
    Chris Holaday
    Looking at the Model 5 or newer for size!

Default Oz build SS7 -

Thanks for the tip dorsal - got me looking. Must admit, I was expecting it to be in the kit.

So, moving on. Fuselage. Onto the fuselage section - specifically the control column bits.

One bugger-up on pressing the bronze sintered bearing/bushing for the control mount support bracket - lesson was to make sure it was prepared properly for pressing! New one on way from factory as I had trouble locating it locally. Also had advisor Noel visit today for an hour or so ... passed inspection!

Default Re: Oz build SS7 - Actuator fitted ... but ...

Quote Originally Posted by rosslr View Post
    Any insight to why the hose clamp on the collar of the actuator is so large? I think it must have been just what was available?? I am going to replace it with a smaller one as the 'tail' is too long and inviting something to get snagged on it.
    Ross, I sometimes find the tail of a clamp a problem as well. If I can't find a closer fit, I will trim off the tail with snips and clean the end up with a belt sander.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Hello Lowell,
    thanks for that - easy solution! was mostly just checking I wasn't missing something. Making good progress and will have floor installed tomorrow - good to have the control system in and working - although as it is still unrigged it is rather out of balance. Photos tomorrow night.

cheers

ross

Default Oz build SS7 - 2 weeks and some progress

Well, today marks the end of two weeks on the project. Working by the book however sometimes it is necessary to make a few diversions while waiting for a bolt or something. We now have all the controls hooked up and it is a lot of fun to be able to use the control stick to see how it all happens. Having a lot of fun and enjoying it a lot!
    Photos following.
    cheers Ross

Default Oz build SS7 - Outside the Hanger view

Nice entertaining day with gliders enjoying the spring weather, modellers doing their thing and the odd cessna coming and going ....

Default Oz build SS7 - console started

We have now finished the controls - I am not sure about my first attempt at safety wiring on the flapperon mixer? I did it two ways - one different on each side. in one I just went through he castle nut and around the spar and tie off and the other did one loop around the nut, the spar and tie off - any advice on which is correct?

Default Oz build SS7 -Visitors

Interesting day sunday when we had a few planes fly in and 8 people appear at the hanger door! Word had got around that we were doing the kitfox and that was a great excuse to fly to Mt Beauty for a look - they were really impressed with the Kit and it has formed some valuable new contacts. A few pics - in one you can see our hanger in the background.