Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Off Your Upholstery

Default Show Off Your Upholstery

I know this is a way off for me but I have been thinking about what I wanted to do for my upholstery. I thought it would be nice to have everyones pictures in one place. So post your pictures and provide some details on material etc. Looking forward to seeing them.

Default Re: Show Off Your Upholstery

i'd like to see this thread get lots of replies too.
    ken

me three, exspecially custom done upholstery or homemade. im at that point in my build, do i buy from kitfox? have it done? do it myself? $$$$$$$

Esser & all,

We went the route of making our interior. Seat cushions, console cover, door panels. Shopping around for materials and DIY definetly is the least expensive.

Total out of pocket was less than $75. I don't have any good photos; but, the foam and zippers for the cushions were the most expensive part. Got some remnants from the fabric/upholstery shop (they have surprisingly large pieces of good quality fabric left over from large rolls at bargain prices) .......was able to find the right color.... a plain gray plus a ribbed fabric with a slightly darker color of gray...all of which matched up with the gray lacquer I used on the seatpan and glareshield.

Fortunately a Kitfox has pretty straightforward interior upholstery needs with flat/square and other uncomplicated shapes.

Used the two styles of gray fabric for the seat cushions and sewed in zippers so the seat covers could be removed from the cushions for washing if I spill my coffee.

Door panels used the same two styles of gray fabric sewed to match the lines of the cushions. For the door panels, just laminated the fabric onto a thin aluminum sheet to fit between the square door frame tubes.

Also fabricated some boots for the control sticks out of the plain gray fabric.

Center console was covered with matching gray Marine vinyl (the coffee thing again....) and attached with an appropriate adhesive (gorilla snot, AKA contact cement.....holds better than upholstery spray glue).

All depends what a person has and wants to do; but, making the interior yourself is definitely the least expensive way to go on out of pocket.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    912 ULS Flying

We didn't make ours this time. Was expensive, but looks good. I just got it yesterday and laid it all out on the ground. I'm don't know what some of the pieces are, but I'm sure they go somewhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

It's look very nice..... but the back cushion seem a bit thin...an inch or so?

Looks nice. I wonder if you can order it without the Logo. I don't really like the logo and it would be nice to put something else there.

Chief, I'm on my way out of town, but will measure it when I get back. I didn't measure it but it looks like 2" to me.

Esser, it is custom made, so I'm sure you can order it that way. Probably be cheaper too. I don't think you can see it in the picture, but there is also a "Kitfox Aircraft" embroidered below the "Fox". Looks great!
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

Just happen to have my extra seat cushions at home here in the closest . The backs are pretty thin , 1 1/4 for the top half and 1 1/2 for the lower half where the bumps are . The bottoms are thin also only 1 inch foam where your butt is . I took the left bottom to a upholstery shop and had it redone with 2 inches of memory foam . Makes for a better ride without the butt getting numb
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

One inch only.... I have hunting cushion that have the same thickness to sit on in my treestand, more then an hour without start dancing my butt around!!!!