Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: alcohol proofing fiberglass wing tanks-CHEAP - BILL HIRSCH SLOSH ????

Default alcohol proofing fiberglass wing tanks-CHEAP - BILL HIRSCH SLOSH ????

Looking at the EAA web site on alcohol proofing fiberglass wing tanks, several products are recommended, however, this one is highly recommended (see below), it is a slosh and cost about $30 a tank. Has anyone used it?

BILL HIRSCH ALCOHOL/ ETHANOL RESISTANT GAS
    TANK SEALER (RED LABEL)

WHY IS BILL HIRSCH'S GAS TANK SEALER THE BEST ON THE MARKET?
    IT IS BETTER BECAUSE IT SEALS HOLES AND SEAMS FAR BETTER THAN ANY OTHER SEALER. IT HAS GREATER STRENGTH AND AT THE SAME TIME HAS THE FLEXIBILITY THAT A PRODUCT OF THIS TYPE IS REQUIRED TO HAVE;
    SOMETHING OTHER SEALERS DO NOT HAVE. IT IS A NON-POROUS COATING AND IS NOT AFFECTED BY ALCOHOL OR FUEL MOST FUEL ADDITIVES. IT WILL WORK ON ALL TYPES OF TANKS SUCH AS STEEL, ALUMINUM, GALVANIZED, & FIBERGLASS WHEREAS OTHER SEALERS WILL NOT WORK ON SOME OF THESE METALS . IT IS NOT A MOISTURE
    CURED URETHANE PAINT THAT IS SOLD BY ONE U.S. COMPANY AS A GAS TANK SEALER. THEIR OWN ADVERTISING TELLS YOU THAT IT IS MOISTURE CURED AND THAT ONCE YOU OPEN THE CAN YOU CANNOT RE-USE IT. THIS TYPE OF SEALER, USUALLY A LIGHT GRAY OR SILVER WILL NOT STICK TO THE INTERIOR SURFACE OF MOST TANKS FOR VERY LONG AND GENERALLY 6-12 MONTHS LATER, WILL BREAK AWAY FROM THE INSIDE OF THE TANK AND WILL TURN INTO A FLOATING PLASTIC BAG INSIDE OF THE TANK. THAT TYPE OF ITEM WHILE BEING RESISTANT TO ALCOHOL WAS NEVER INTENDED TO BE A TANK SEALER AND SHOULD NEVER BE USED IN A FUEL TANK

Default Re: alcohol proofing fiberglass wing tanks-CHEAP - BILL HIRSCH SLOSH ????

i had considered using the hirsh sealer but used an epoxy instead in my old 6 gal tanks . i never had any problems with the epoxy but one tank only had about 150 hrs on it when i replaced it and the other about 225hrs when i replaced it . i installed the new 13 gal tanks . after i sloshed the 6 gal tanks i could barely get 10 gal total in them which isnt enough to do much even at 4 gal/hr . the 6 gal tanks were already installed and the wings covered but never had gas in them . so sloshing them was no walk in the park . with the baffles you cant really be sure how good of coverage you get , besides the old tanks were painted gray . even if they werent installed you couldnt see the coverage . the new tanks you shuld be able to see the sealer rolling around in it and get an idea of coverage.
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa