Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the a Kitfox my plane?

Default Is the a Kitfox my plane?

I have been considering building a kitplane for some time, but I am still in the research phase. I am quite interested in the kitfox 7. My main mission for the aircraft is affordability. I'm not talking construction costs, but operating, fuel and storage costs. I am curious if anyone here has much experience with folding the wings and trailering the aircraft. Is folding them a big difficult deal? Can I do it myself? The kitfox is a little too big to keep in my garage, but I am thinking that a storage unit might be very cost effective as opposed to a hangar. (Where I live, the hangars run around $300 per month.) Does anyone have any experience with this?

If I have to rent a hangar anyway, I will probably build a rv or glasair. However, if I can get an airplane such as the kitfox that is easy to fold and store more cheaply, I think that I would be sold on it. Thanks for the info!

Default Re: Is the a Kitfox my plane?

I trailered my Kitfox to the airport for several months when I lost access to a hanger I was sharing. I had a trailer made for the Kitfox and folding and unfolding wings was easy. Always did it by myself. Key was to unfold wings while still on trailer. You just need to pay attention when moving wings to be sure flaperons are in the proper position. You have to adjust them while moving wings.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

I don't trailer mine, but the folding wings make it possible to share a hangar with my friend's Sonex, That's a significant savings here in New England.

Do you think it would be feasible to keep a kitfox 7 in a nice enclosed trailer and skip the hangar expense?

It has been done beforeā€¦

Do a search of the forum on trailers. You need to be sure to get the correct enclosed trailer so that you plane will fit through the door.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

FWIW, I originally had planned to trailer my Kitfox to and from the airport to save hangar expense, but quickly found out it was a major hassle that would eliminate spur of the moment evening flights, etc. Nothing is difficult about it, but the trailer loading/unloading, need to drain fuel before wing folding, braces, tie backs, refueling and then the reverse process when done flying becomes a pain. Compared to a hangared plane you can just jump in and go. I searched until I found a cheap hangar on a small grass strip (yes the roof leaks and there are mice and birds) but I can deal with that.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Wow. Thanks for that info. So the wings cannot be folded without draining the fuel... Fascinating.

The wings CAN be folded while filled up - but it'll be a mess when you return if you leave more than 20-25 liters in it (don't ask how I know...)
    I fold my wings every weekend.
    Keep on researchin'!
    Last edited by HansLab; 07-22-2014 at 12:32 PM.

Patrick,

Fuel in the tank is an issue as the fuel cap is on the outboard side of the wing tanks and when the wings are folded, the outboard end of the wing tanks becomes the low end when the plane sits on it's tail - although a tail wheel is already on it's tail, a trigear will sit on it's tailskid too when the wings swing back & the weight shifts.

Doesn't mean zero fuel, just low enough so the level doesn't slosh out the fill. The wings do need to be braced so any bouncing will not damage anything traveling, fuel left on board inreases the stress on the spar & ribs to some extend if left unsupported. (I didn't want to spend the time building the braces and lockbacks & got the standard ones from John - works great)

Although I don't routinely fold the wings, even in my unpracticed state I find I can swing & secure them easily within 15 minutes.

Dave S

Hi, I keep my mk3 in an enclosed trailer.
    The hangar at our airfield is a little cramped so apart from draining the wings and folding them it's not a big difference in terms of hassle. No one is in front of my trailer.
    I drain the tanks with a "jiggle" syphon (ball in a brass valve that rattles when you jiggle it)
    Back into a jerry can. I stand the can on a little stool so it's a quick (30 seconds or so per tank) and hands free. When the syphon stops the tanks are empty enough to food the wings.
    The more you do it the more you get used to it.
    I sometimes wish for a hangar when I'm doing maintenance but I just borrow a space.
    I'm happy with my trailer as the cost saving is about 4 hours flying on uk avgas rates.
    Martin