Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacement tires? Mod IV

Default Replacement tires? Mod IV

I've been airing up the tires on my mod IV project since I brought her home last month. They've only been flat for ten years, I can't understand why they keep going flat. I was a little shocked to learn that the side of the tire says "trailer" and that the hub cap has a hole for a grease fitting aka boat trailer! I'm now a little more educated after reading old forums threads, but I'm wondering about replacements. The tire size is 16.5x 6.5-8. I found some nice looking, and affordable, tires from Desser that are made by Nan that are 21/1200-8 2 ply smoothies. They advertise them for the Kitfox. Will they fit is my question. And I assume they will need tubes as well.

Default Re: Replacement tires? Mod IV

Those are the tires that seem to be the most popular with the 8" wheel runners. They go by Nanco, Nanking and other names. Prices seem to vary wildly by the source and their supply. I've seen anywhere from $25 to $75 apiece.

When I had 8" wheels on my plane I had Carlisle ATV tires that were 21x10-8 in size. Front tires off an ATV. I believe they came from Fleet Farm...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

The Nanco's are great tires and will roll over just about anything.

http://www2.tires-easy.com/cgi-bin/r...rsmFahrzeugart=

$32 a piece on this site right now.
    Last edited by SS7Flyer; 11-27-2013 at 11:12 PM.

Thanks SS7. I pulled the trigger and ordered tonight. Merry Christmas to me! How difficult is it to get them off and on those tiny rims???

I do them my self - I think I got some you tube videos on it.........

If you not done before take to a ATV shop - they are tough to do without the right tools....... I know I have a video on setting the bead with ether -works well LOL and good comedy .......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_ndpuhDqMg

They come banded together flat with a metal band which distorts them pretty good. Even the shop I took mine to said they had to lay them out in the sun for a day before they could do anything with them. Probably worth the money to let someone else mess with them. Probably a good time to replace your races and bearings too if you don't know when they were last done.

I'm in pretty good graces with the local BMW motorcycle / Polaris dealer after I bought the biggest Ranger they make last year, so I'll drop them by the shop when they get here. But first I need to make a jack point for the spring gear. I told my dad about the lack of a jack point with the spring gear and he told me I needed a "Cessna Jack". He built a 140 from two wrecks when I was five years old. He told me he made one from wood. I think this was back in the days when you chiseled your tires from rocks. I do love the video of shirtless guy and the ether.

The shirtless guy IS our one and only Ontario Kitfox Dave!
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Just ordered some for my plane and a mate with a model IV, great price ,the freight to Oz is a killer though
    Matty

Buy me a round trip ticket and I'll use mine as suitcases and leave them with you. I'm sick of winter already.