Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bleeding Matco brakes

Default bleeding Matco brakes

I wish I had a mini-lathe for what I want to make to bleed my brakes. I have the Matco brakes that have their own reservoirs. I have seen this style many years ago but I cannot remember how I pushed fluid up without making a mess on the cockpit floor. I was thinking of taking a 10-24 cap screw and drilling it out, then J-B welding a short length of copper tubing to the top so I could put a hose on it and catch the mess. Or am I reinventing the wheel? I don't think I've ever seen a hose barb fitting with a 10-24 thread.

Default Re: bleeding Matco brakes

Jay,
    I'm game on a prototype. Send me an address PM and I will have one in the mail. You be the beta tester.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Jay I wrapped several paper towels around it and held them together with tape.

Lowell... what is really needed is a fitting that one can attach a brake line hose to, that can replace the capscrew on the top. This will allow the use of a remote reservoir if you can then seal the top of the reservoir brake unit!
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

Grover,
    Like you suggested, I am not sure the top could be sealed. I think it would need a new top as I doubt the piston rod has a seal where it penetrated the top. I made a device as Jay suggested this morning. Then thinking about the lack of a seal on the top, I wonder if it would work - would the fluid exit the screw in fitting, or would it just seep out the periphery making the mess. I'll have to try it.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I bought three 3/4" cap screws, in case I screwed up twice. I also bought an old squeeze type oil can and some super flexible tygon tube that will just barely fit over the oil can nozzle. I need to drill out the center of the screw and smooth the cap end so the hose will fit over tightly. I plan on oil canning pressure from the bottom with half the tube, and use the other half the tube over the screw in the master cylinder into a catch can. When I was a young tech, I think I also did the rag around the cylinder. Very, very messy. If I get a leak at the screw I can always get a nut and oring to create a seal at the top. But I bet the threads will slow it down to a trickle. Now, if I only had a mini lathe.....
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post
    Jay,
    I'm game on a prototype. Send me an address PM and I will have one in the mail. You be the beta tester.
    I tried to PM you, but your inbox is overloaded and it will not send.
    Jay

Jay... I'm in the hanger looking at mine... is it possible to just drain the system from the top through a small hose at the caliper catching the fluid in a super clean jar; and then refilling the system up to the reservoir matcos from the bottom at the caliper? That is how I filled mine originally.
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

Hi Grover,
    Usually you pressure bleed from the caliper up. It pushes the bubbles right out. On aircraft with a firewall mounted reservoir, it's really easy with a pressure pot. I've done it at least a hundred times at the FBO I used to work at. But at home....I'm talking low budget shade tree stuff. I just don't want to make a huge mess in the belly of my new (to me) Kitfox.

Go to Harbor Freight and buy yourself a $25 brake bleeder vaccuum pump.

Another way I have done it to use a cheap old style pump oil can filled with brake fluid. The type used years ago for adding oil to motors or bolts etc. I put a small hose over the spout and placed it over the bleeder on the wheel cylinder. Loosen the master plug and then lightly loosen the bleeder screw. Pump a few strokes and then close the bleeder. This will push the air bubble out the top.

This is the type I use.
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/18591385...FZNlOgodNVYAkA

I used one of those $1.50 plastic syringes that Kitfox sells to dispense Hysol. It works great for brake bleeding with a piece of left over Tygon tubing on the spout.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS