Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cg & all

Default Re: Cg & all

A question for all. My understanding is that an airplane is measured for W/B with the airframe in level flight attitude. In conventional gear airplanes this is accomplished by raising the tail so that the longerons below the cockpit are level.

The question - is a tricycle gear airplane in level flight attitude while on the ground or are shims placed under the tires to achieve level attitude before measuring for wheel weight and arms?
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

You need to understand how to calculate weight and balance before you use the automated spread sheets to do it. Find one and only one person to show you how. Any two experts will start arguing about what is correct.

Here's how the empty weight CG is calculated. Don't feel bad about it, I know at least one major airline captain and one A&P mechanic that can't calculate a weight and balance for a single engine airplane by hand. When an error occurs using a spread sheet they can't figure out where the mistake is.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Smile Re: Cg & all

i think i figured out where i went wrong, no negitive arm on the nose! that what was throwing me for a loop. thanks so very much for smacking my marbles around.

Hi Lowell, Yes I shim the tires to obtain level for weighing.
    Sometimes it's the nose wheel and sometimes the mains.

Phil

This is a good document from the FAA on all things regarding "W&B" - http://www.faa.gov/regulations_polic...-h-8083-1a.pdf .

The doc suggests reducing the pressure in the nose wheel strut to level a plane. I would suspect if there is no oleo strut, shims would work well.
    RobS