Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 25 of 87 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Re: Oz build SS7

HI Johno,
    yes, that's right - Laura told me you were over. We are onto the covering now - going slowly and learning! I have been a little slack lately with posts but will get back onto it again this week. Time you got that license unrestricted and fly the kitfox over!

cheers

r

Hi Mat,

yes, it was good to meet, albeit quickly. You plane looks great! I went back the next mrorning and had a look over it. look forward to seeing you up here shortly!

cheers

r

Back into it and the covering is underway! It was invaluable to attend the Polyfibre fabric covering workshop as a part of Natfly at Temora over easter. we are still learning, but with more confidence and understanding of the materials, process and techniques! We even got the thumbs up from inspector Noel!
    After boasting of the warm weather while many others were freezing up Nth, our season is on the change!
    Hope you all enjoy the spring and make good progress in the warmer weather.

cheers

ross
    Attached Images Attached Images

Today saw division of labour! Gayle has taken over the covering and I have started on the wing lights. I have decided to install floating nut plates attached to aluminium flat and bonded to the fibreglass, thus allowing the lights and lenses to be removed without having to remove the whole wing tip - I assume that is what others have done? a couple of photos show how I have done it. I am planing on using the same technique for the outboard nav, recognition and strobe lights.

It was ANZAC day here in OZ and a wonderful autumn day too - so lots of activity at the airport and lots of visitors !

cheers

ross

Default Covering progress - slow but learning!

Some time since I have posted so thought I would let people know that I'm making slow but steady progress. I must admit that I am finding the skills need for a good covering job a little hard to master! But I think that half of it is not having a frame of reference. But it is coming along ok. A few pics of the elevator and horizontal stabiliser. I am starting to love the way the iron can work magic on the material and be used to make all sorts of lumps disappear!

I guess the major challenge for us remains in getting good radius finishes around the curved edges - as long as no one lies on the ground and looks up the underside of the elevator and HS we will be ok!

cheers

ross

Default Re: Panel

Also, the covering has made me consider the avionics as I need to think about the position of remote compass etc. So, I have made a decision to go with MGL for the PFIS and EMS, radio and probably their compatible transponder. I already have a Garmin 695 from our last plane and Ipad. So, I have printed some actual size pics of the way I am thinking of arranging it all. I would appreciate any comments on the layout practicalities from you guys who have flying these kitfox's for a while. Apart from switches and breakers, I was hoping to have a couple of small glove boxes bottom left and bottom right of the panel. Any thoughts comments appreciated. ( first pic is in the plane - second in the lounge room - bit clearer)

cheers

ross

rosslr,
    Looking good! The only consideration I would notice is the placement of the 695...seems a bit low to still have clearance for the throttle & choke. That is, unless you plan to make an attachment below the panel to mount the throttle? You have the space to move it up a bit! I like the simple layout of the glass cockpit though...keep posting! Very motivating!
    Chris Holaday
    Looking at the Model 5 or newer for size!

Default Re: Panel

Good Point Chris - I must admit I had it up higher and moved it down to line up with all the others - It is an interesting part of the project. I am glad I was alerted to thinking this through before covering the wings as it seems the only 'safe' place for a remote compass is out towards the wing tip - I am thinking the second last panel. The wing tip itself will have electric currents to strobe and position lights. I was about to cover all the wings - that would have ben an interesting job to fit once covered. I am now going to remount the wings and level everything up to get the compass fitted before covering - not a big task but one others should consider before pulling eveything apart for covering.

cheers

ross

I put my V-6 at the top of the panel so my eyes weren't looking so far down the panel when adjusting freq.
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Default Rudder covering

Finished the elevator yesterday and on to the rudder today. i guess I have two main challenges in regards to technique. First is to be a little more even handed when applying the poly brush - I am learning that if the thickness is not applying evenly it can result in raised parts under the fabric. And it is hard to get an even finish on curved parts! Second, I find forming the fabric around the compound corners in a way that results in a neat finish is a challenge! A combination of cutting strategic darts heat forming the fabric is an art!

This morning i got n side of the rudder heat shrunk to 250 and this afternoon onto the other side. YOu can see the 'tool kit' in the foreground.

I know this is all pretty boring really but I am trying to get back in to regular posts to serve as a good record of the build. Hope it is not too mundane for you all!

And thanks for the thoughts SP on the radio position - I have rearranged it a bit to get most vital instrument readout in the same horizontal plane up towards the top of the panel.

cheers

ross