Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: First Impressions. Model 4-1200 912S

Default First Impressions. Model 4-1200 912S

It took several years to find but I now own a Model 4 Kitfox.
    My motivation for getting a model 4 with the 912S was faster cruise speed with decent fuel burn and hopefully similar short field take-off and landing distances compared to my Model 2-950 582.
    I now see why this forum raves about the Model 4-7's and I have only spent 30 minutes in it.
    My first impressions are that it is everything I wanted and more.
    It is faster on less fuel, quieter, maybe roomier (I have not measured to compare) , has a baggage area, more solid feeling ( weighs 670#'s empty) yet handles very sporty, no 2 stroke oil, holds 26 gallons, It feels like you can travel with it, simplicity of the Grove gear......

It will be the perfect airplane for me when and if I can learn to consistently land it in under 200-250 feet, no wind like I can the Model 2 near sea level.

I will miss the smooth no gear box chatter start up and shut down of the 582 with an RK clutch even though this 912 has a clutch in it and recent gear box rebuild.

The original Model 4 Matco brakes are weak in comparison to the Matco E series brakes I converted my model 2 to and will get upgraded.

The minor negatives are that folding the wings will take 6 minutes instead of 3 and I may need to drain the tanks when I fold the wings depending on fuel level.
    The only major negative is that this package did not come cheap but nearly half the cost of building new.

So here is where I need help.

My hanger requires folding the wings which only took 3-4 minutes with the model 2, and I always burned off the 6 gallon wing tank first so it did not need to be drained.

1. Is there a quick drain/high flow fuel valve I could attach to the header tank where the sump drain is, when I need to drain down the tanks for wing folding?
    Something like an oil quick drain if the O ring will hold up with gas.
    I could "mickey mouse" a valve that would hang below the bottom of the fuselage but I am afraid it could get torn off with the sticks and rocks I land on.

I realize that I could raise the tail when folding the wings like using the device Highwing built, but that is not practical since I am working off gravel in a low clearance hanger.

2. My model 2 takes off and lands shorter with more angle of attack (AOA)
    so I want to try more AOA on this model 4.
    So here is my idea how to extend the Grove gear to experiment.
    If you Google "Cessna 140 gear extensions" you will see my idea.
    The Cessna 140 extensions were a fix to prevent nose overs when braking by extending the wheel base foreword.
    My idea is to make the same type of extension and point it down to extend the gear down 3 inches.
    Has this been done before to Grove gear? Is it a crazy idea?

3. How short can the Model 4 wing land in comparison to the model 1-3 wings?

Thanks
    Herman

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Default Re: First Impressions. Model 4-1200 912S

Hi,
    For draining too full wing tanks for folding the wings on my 5 td , i use a syphon mate ACS part # 05-01018. It is quick easy and simple .
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Default Re: First Impressions. Model 4-1200 912S

why not just make yourself a deal for the back that lifts the rear with wheels. I think somebody else posted something like that. than you can keep the fuel in the tanks and close the wings and put it in the hangar. bring it back out and open the wings and than lower the rear.