Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Drivers license - Third Class Medical Proposal

Default Re: Drivers license - Third Class Medical Proposal

Just got a letter from one of my Senators. Said he would take my views into consideration if/when the bill comes for vote. Didn't say he would support it! Typical non committal politician.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

This is a lengthy post, but I thought you might be interested in seeing where one of my State's Senators stands on this issue. It's not where I hoped he'd land on this - and I hope it's not indicative of the opinion of the rest of congress. Here is his reply to me:

"I think that a middle ground exists between the current FAA requirements and the driver's license standard that the General Aviation Pilot Protection Act would institute. Currently, general aviation pilots must obtain a Third Class Medical Certificate by passing a physical administered by a physician certified as an Aviation Medical Examiner (AME). The scarcity of AMEs enables them to charge high prices for their services and often places an extra burden on those general aviation pilots who must travel a great distance to reach the nearest AME's office.

FAA regulations specify physical and mental fitness standards that pilots seeking a Third Class Medical Certificate must meet. Most of these standards mandate that a pilot be free of certain medical conditions. I believe that doctors who complete Third Class Medical Certificates should have a thorough knowledge of their patients' histories in order to best evaluate whether or not their patients exhibit signs of certain proscribed conditions. Internal and family physicians have the patient knowledge, familiarity, and accessibility necessary to most effectively render Third Class Medical Certificate decisions. So, I would support a bill that enables internal and family physicians – whether or not they hold an AME certification – to complete Third Class Medical Certificates.

I cannot support the General Aviation Pilot Protection Act in its current form because I think that the driver's license standard that it specifies does not adequately protect pilots, their passengers, and the general population. I am open, though, to discussing the system that I propose above with the Act's authors as a potential improvement to their bill. Please be in touch as this issue develops."
    RobS

Pretty standard political BS. Confuse and cloud the issue, and serve no one. My senator from KY says the issue is in committee, which means it will probably never leave, and therfore die.\

Dick B

The only way to get this to pass is to keep up the pressure. Resigning to cynicism will guarantee you get your wish: More unabated FAA rule making and bureaucracy run amok.

I can't see how some half senile geezer is totally legal to drive their 40,000 plus pound RV down a two lane highway, avoiding repeated head on collisions by inches with no medical considerations, be we can not fly a 3000# airplane without thousands of dollars worth of useless medical trials.

You need to talk to your fellow pilots at the local airport. Give them the links to the AOPA and EAA campaigns. Go to an EAA Chapter meeting. Bring up the subject there.

Get involved.

EAA Link

Find your Rep Here and write your own letter to them.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

RobS,
    If it were me, I'd write to your Senator & explain that statistics and common sense show that his position & thinking on this is wrong. I would encourage him to get the facts from the AOPA & EAA, as well as the lawmakers who introduced these bills. I would also point out to him that there are entire groups of physicians who agree strongly that the change would be good & most likely actually improve safety. We can't let ignorance among these people who think they are smarter than the rest of us go unchallenged if we want to have a chance to succeed.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

John,
    I agree and will reply using many of the points you made. With that in mind, does anyone know where I can find the statistical data regarding accidents due to medical impairment for 3rd class PPLs (which I believe is a fraction of a percent)?

In addition to the logical argument Av8r3400 made about "half senile geezers" - which is great and will use, I want to make some factual statements, with the data to support them, so when one his staffers reads my reply they might think about doing more research on this subject.

I also think some words about saving some of Uncle Sam's money by reducing the size of the FAA might ring a bell.

Any help as I draft my reply will be greatly appreciated.
    RobS

One of the best arguments to be made is the glaring lack of accidents due to medical impairment in Light Sport certificated pilots and their operations. We now have some history in the LSA arena and this is the trump card in the argument against the class III medical.

Saying that without a class III medical planes will fall out of the sky and the bodies will pile up like chord-wood is like the age old argument of asking when you stopped beating your wife…
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Just read an article where the AMA is gearing up to oppose the change in Third Class Medical.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

Flying Magazine

Makes sense. We would be taking the money out of the poor, starving, doctor's mouths.

Insurance doesn't pay for FAA medicals. They are nothing but a gravy train for the AMEs. Especially once you need to jump through all the hoops of "special issuance".

This is pretty transparent to what their motives are.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Just another reason to not like the AMA. Not exactly sure of their motives. Might be money.

Incidentally just so you guys know: Your regular doctor/AME is probably NOT in the AMA. I do not know any "real world" practicing doctors who are. I am not in the AMA or an AME.

I was an AMA member as a medical student around 20 years ago when there were no dues and I had not yet realized that their views and goals for medicine were so different from mine.

The AMEs I know are pilots and do it because they are aviators. Not for the money, as it is a small part of their practice. It is hard for me to imagine it as a large part of someones practice unless they have a contract with multiple large flight schools. If that is even possible. One of the AMEs I know debates whether it is worth the hassle of renewing his AME certificate every time it comes up. He does not feel the monetary reward is clearly worth it. He keeps it up because he is an aviator.
    Last edited by N981MS; 06-12-2014 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Clarification
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)