Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: New builder questions

Default New builder questions

Our EAA chapter 231, Richmond, VA has acquired a Kitfox Model IV-1200 kit complete with Rotax 582 engine. This is a 1992 vintage kit that the original owner did substantial assembly then put the project in storage. We are determining what has been completed and what needs to be finished. We find there are several modifications and upgrades over the years and would like advice on whether these are required. Such as: reinforced rudder torque tubes, heavier HS brace, right side brakes. Are there others? Any and all advice will be appreciated.

Default Re: New builder questions

elevator trim is a worthwhile mod in my opinion. I'm not a fan of trimming with the flaps.
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Wllewellyn,

The rudder torque tube reinforcement is necessary. Locally, I am aware of an individual who was lucky enough to have a competent pilot in the right seat when an unmodified rudder pedal arm broke off on the left seat side.

One other consideration which might be worth looking into is reinforcing/supporting the seat. Some of the earlier Kitfox seats had some potential for plopping down on the alieron control rod if they failed. Builders have made modifications including "buttblocks" between the seat and frame, straps, getting the Kitfox supplied underseat storage boxes (which are great for tools and other stowage too). The current Kitfox seats have integral underseat storage boxes but you can get the retrofit boxes to fit to the existing seats.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

The seat pan reinforcement - support - though not really necessary in the IV is not a bad idea especially if it is functional as with the below seat storage boxes. The seat pan failures began in the early 5,6,7s when the forward seat pan edge that wraps around the forward seat bulkhead was modified to mate with the forward sloping panel that hid the control stick torque tube. My most recent Model IV build was a 1992 previously started kit. Though I made many modifications, they were all based on personal choice vs. need. I agree with the need for the rudder pedal torque reinforcement. If you plan on using the 912 series engine, I would also recommend moving the ignition module to the firewall side of the engine mount.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post
    The seat pan reinforcement - support - though not really necessary in the IV is not a bad idea especially if it is functional as with the below seat storage boxes. The seat pan failures began in the early 5,6,7s when the forward seat pan edge that wraps around the forward seat bulkhead was modified to mate with the forward sloping panel that hid the control stick torque tube. My most recent Model IV build was a 1992 previously started kit. Though I made many modifications, they were all based on personal choice vs. need. I agree with the need for the rudder pedal torque reinforcement. If you plan on using the 912 series engine, I would also recommend moving the ignition module to the firewall side of the engine mount.
    Hi Lowell,
    Can you PM me the info on the rudder update? That's a new one on me and now's the time to do it.
    Jay