Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bigger tires on Matco W62 rims

Default Bigger tires on Matco W62 rims

I'm looking to upgrade my stock 6.00-6 Aero trainer tires that came with the Kit (IV 1200). I have the Matco W62 split rims. Dôes anyone have any advice or opinion to share on a good "Tundra" tire that isn't too terribly big ? I've been looking at the Aero classic ribbed 21/800-6's but don't know if that's a good choice. I only fly off grass and the ground is always either rock hard-bumpy or soft-mushy throughout the year. I'm also thinking about getting a Matco WHLT-8WD dual fork tailwheel to replace the stock Maule. Is that a good idea ? It's pretty wide and a bit heavier than the Maule ?

Default Re: Bigger tires on Matco W62 rims

I"ve been running the 21-800x6 tires for years now. They have treated me very well and I put them on my new project.

I'm not flying gravel bars and serious bush, just grass or paved strips, so bigger isn't needed for me.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

The Desser Aero Classic 22/8.50 x 6 smooth Tundra are the ones I will buy next to replace my 21/8.00x6 ribbed tires. A good friend, Floog, has been running them for 700+ hours and seems to be happy with them. They are a good fairly large tire that you can run with tubes at 12-15 psi, inexpensive, and good for dirt, grass, reasonable gravel bars, etc. Also I hear they wear well on pavement too. About as good an all-around tire I know of. Can get them thru Kitfox as well as Desser.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

This is the tire I put on my KF3. It is same tire that is used by Zenith on the 750. The tires are mounted on Cleveland 6" rims.

Here is a link to the source: http://www.powersportsplace.com/parts/crr-508040/

Below are a couple of Pics

Ralph
    Attached Images Attached Images

Im doing the same as Av8r3400. Good size but can't put pants on it if you want to slick up for prettification or speed to go coast to coast. We fly from grass so stay away from glass.

Great info guys and thanks for the pics-link. Huge help to actually see tires mounted rather than imagine how they'll look. I researched a ton of old posts on the subject prior to posting. A lot of tire discussion has taken place in the recent past it seems. What I didn't find however was a lot of later follow-up on pros-cons, likes-dislikes and any unexpected consequences (handling or otherwise) with a particular tire. I'm sure this is a "tired" subject to some. A steady stream of new guys with the same old questions could get aggravating at some point I suppose.

So the popular consensus seems to be a guy can't go wrong with 21/800-6's or 22/850's on W62's for moderate rough field and soggy conditions. Super !!!!!

I gather not many are using the wide Matco tailwheels to go along with the bigger tires.

I believe many of us, including myself, are using the Alaskan Bushwheel tailwheel upgrade option offered by Kitfox to go with the larger tires and rougher field conditions. I have had no problems with the tailwheel itself, but I did also upgrade the spring to the new Grove aluminum spring after some rough landings changed the angle in my standard 3-leaf steel spring. If that angle changes much, you start to get tailwheel shimmy on paved runways. So far, 300+ hours, the combination of AKB and Grove has been perfect. The only downside other than cost is the AKB tailwheel is quite heavy and will move your CG to the rear somewhat; no problem but definitely noticeable when you do W&B calculations.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks for the advise. The ABW makes sense for you guys with heavier planes or those doing more aggressive rough flying. I think however I need a happy medium between the two missions. My old Kitfox was built very light and basic so I'm reluctant to add weight if possible. One thing is for sure that hard solid Maule tailwheel has got to go. Man I feel every cricket I run down. BTW I didn't see on the Kitfox site a Grove TW spring for IV's.

I don't think the Grove tailwheel spring for the SS7 is on the Kitfox website either. You have to call and ask about it.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I asked Debra about it for my KF3 several months ago. She informed me the spring angle on the KF3 was not compatible with the Grove tailwheel spring. The KF3 and 4 share very similar fuselage frames.

That said, the Grove spring may not work on the KF4. Also the loading on the lighter Kitfoxes may also be an issue.

Ralph