Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting ready to order

Default Getting ready to order

Gentlemen,

I will be ordering my kit in about a month or so and need to finalize the accessories ordered.
    First of all I will let it be known that the “little wheel” will be at the rear of this aircraft. My main use of the Kitfox will initially be local and then later on some back country flying and possible cross country on a limited basis.

Below is a list of accessories I am considering and a few questions for you all.

1) Quick build wing
    2) Speedster tail kit
    3) Bottom false rib kit
    4) Dual brake kit
    5) Upgrade for light brake pedals
    6) Adjustable rudder pedal kit
    7) Pre-fab bracket kit
    8) Bubble doors-tinted
    9) Tinted windows
    10) Wing lift strut speed fairing kit
    11) Cabin heat kit
    12) Wing tip upgrade
    13) Door latch kit-dual pin
    14) Oil fill door kit
    15) Cargo bay kit
    16) Trim position kit
    17) Parking brake
    18) Trim assist kit
    19) Flush mounted wing tank quick drains

Questions:

Are the following included in the basic kit?

1) Fuel shut off valve
    2) Cabin vent system
    3) Lexan turtle deck

What is the purpose of the Aluminium close out butt rib? and do I need them?

So did I leave anything out that would be a definite must or are there some accessories that I listed not worth it?

Your opinions are welcomed.

Joe G.

Default Re: Getting ready to order

Joe
    You are about to begin a great adventure in fun flying. Unless things have changed since I ordered my kit 6 years ago:

1) You'll probably get a fuel shut off valve with the firewall forward and engine order. I ordered the shutoff valve early and now have an extra.
    2) The cabin vent is an accessory. You'll want to order that with the FWF since that is when you get the "bonnet" and firewall.
    3) The lexan turtle deck came with my basic build kit.

You'll like (8) the bubble doors - a little extra elbow room.
    If you're ordering a Rotax the cabin heater kit works really well!
    Oil fill door kit (14) came with my FWF cowling kit
    I bought the cargo kit (15), but used my sewing skills to extend it more to the rear subject to w&b (really light stuff). Do this before skinning the plane.
    I did order just about everything else, but I'm flying a trigear

Best wishes and have fun building.

BobRS
    SS7, Rotax 914, Flying Phase I
    Albuquerque, NM

Joe, I will add a few things to Bob's comments:

- Will need an upholstery kit for seat cushions, carpet, etc. It is very nice.
    - Will need the butt rib closeouts, or have to make them yourself. Closes the opening just above the doors between butt ribs and fuselage.
    - I would order a couple extra inspection covers; you will need them.
    - If you have any backcountry aspirations order the 8.50x 6 smooth tundra tires (or larger) and tubes, rather than the standard kit tires.
    - Also for backcountry operation, you will probably want the heavier duty ABW tailwheel, and possibly the heavier duty Grove aluminum tailwheel spring.
    - I would also suggest ordering the ACK ELT (406 mHz) from Kitfox. It is much easier to mount it and the antenna while you are building the fuselage rather than later.

Have fun! Exciting days.
    Hope to meet you one of these days; I am based in Oregon City (Fairways).
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Is the aluminum header tank now standard? If not you will want that.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Pretty sure the aluminum header tank is now standard Ken.

I would get the Kitfox Builder's Tool Kit if you do not have any aircraft building tools. All the reamers you will immediately need when you start building the fuselage are included along with correct size assortment of drill bits, clecos of various sizes ect. The Kitfox Aircraft website currently lists it at $399.00 for the kit.

You may not need the double pin door latches if going with the bubble doors.
    Check that out with Debra before ordering.

The fuel shutoff valve should be in the kit along with the turtle deck.
    My instinct tells me none of the vent parts will be standard with the kit as there are several ways to vent the cockpit now. You could ask Debra at order time or email her with any questions like that.

I am partial to the Laker Leading Edge option but it certainly is not a requirement for an incredible flying Kitfox. I just love the way a LLE equipped Kitfox feels especially in the low end of the Kitfox speed range.

Looks like a good list Joe. There might be other things that pop up during the build but Kitfox Aircraft can handle most of those for you.
    Exciting times just ahead for you. Congratulations on your decision.

****If you have to wait a couple months for delivery of your kit, see if you can have your build manual and maybe the PolyFiber manual shipped to you right away so you can spend time going over them prior to your kits arrival.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

That looks pretty similar to my order. There are a few things I plan to install that I didn't order right away, such as the cargo bay kit, and anything that would go on with or after the Firewall Foward. I did this for a couple reasons:

1) I will almost certainly have to order more stuff from Kitfox, so there's really no harm in not buying stuff a year before I need it.

2) 75% of kit aircraft are not completed by the person who first buys the kit. While I certainly plan on being in the 25%, so does everybody else when they place their order. So there is substantial financial risk in buying a kit. The more stuff you buy up front, the more you're putting at risk.

3) I only have so much space, so the fewer items I have to store, the better.

I do agree that the Builder's took kit is smart. I'd consider it a "starter kit". It doesn't have enough consumables to finish your plane, but when you're getting started and need a reamer, drill bit, paper cup, popsicle stick, etc, you'll have it, and know that you should probably buy more of them. But it will prevent you from being stuck waiting for something that you didn't know you needed.

There is an assist spring that lightens stick pressure when the flaps are deployed.

I put one on last year and found it to be a very good addition. It may be something you might wish to consider.

Your gonna love a Kitfox. It’s a great airplane.

Regards
    Rodney

Jim

Are the butt rib close outs that you suggested, the aluminum ones listed in the parts store?

Also is it necessary to order the upholstery right away or could that be done later? I haven't given much thought to colors etc.

Great tip on installing the ELT before covering, thank you!

I'm not sure if I will equip the airplane with back country tires right away, need to ponder for a while.

DesertFox4

I neglected to list the tool kit but I will be getting one.

When my wife and I were at the Flyin last summer I looked at John's new Speedster, the pretty green and black one, It has bubble doors with the double pin latches, a very neat and secure latch, the handle is flush with the surface of the bubble door. That is why I chose to order them.

I'm not sure about the LLE. That's a lot of money and labor. I'm not sure if it is worth it. I have read the posts recently and opinions vary.

That's a good idea about getting the build manual and the Polyfiber manual now...Thank you

Aviator79

I'm quite sure that I will be in the 25%...I'm a stubborn Irishman.

As far as building and storage space I don't see that as a problem. I will be posting a few pics of my work area, (before and after) in a few weeks when it is organized.

Rodney

I will be getting the assist spring, It's number 18 on my list, but thanks for the tip!

Thank you all for your responses.

JoeG

On the LLE: The labor really wasn't that much. I just looked back at my log and figure I have about 8 hours into the LLE on the right wing including filleting the transitions to the fuel tank and ribs with Super Fil. I'm guessing that this probably wasn't even necessary; anti-chafe and finish tapes would have probably done the trick. I will admit, however, that $1000 for four pieces of fiberglass is pretty steep. The factory planes don't have the LLE, so clearly the plane flies fine without them. When I saw them and thought about the fact that I dropped $1000 bucks on them, I did have a moment of buyer's remorse. It quickly faded though, and I'm glad I got them.

For me, this item was one of those where I didn't want to look back and wish I'd installed them. In the context of the whole project, the cost and time invested are pretty small.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Joe, yes the aluminum closeouts listed are the ones you will need.
    The upholstery kit can, and should if your colors are not settled, be ordered later. Just don't order at the last minute because that kit has a long lead time, and I know a few others who waited too long and then had to wait several months to get it.
    Regarding backcountry tires, the 8.50x 6 tires cost very little more than the standard kit tires and are a great compromise for both pavement and semi-rough strips.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS