Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BasicMED

Default BasicMED

Have any of you been through the BasicMED process of the on-line course and visit to your GP/PCP (or similar)? I will be due this year. My wife avoided the whole thing and went back to our local AME. However that kinda defeats the purpose of what should be a benefit to the new system.

Wondering if there are any pitfalls to avoid. I have heard of some resistance from GP's wanting to sign that document indicating safe for flight.

Default Re: BasicMED

I had a routine doctor visit recently with my GP. My med is due in a couple of months. I thought it would be a good idea to ask him about it before hand. He said he had heard about the new rules from another patient and didnt have a problem with it. So thats what i would suggest doing. Ask your dr his feelings on it before your due. You might be surprised.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

I did Basic Med last spring just weeks after it was approved. The AOPA web site has a document intended to inform doctors about Basic Med. I printed that and took it to my doctor's office a few weeks before. He had no issues with signing my Basic Med form (similar to other stuff he typically signs off on). And since I had had an annual physical exam with him only a couple of months prior, going thru the Basic Med checklist took very little time. I have heard, from several people, that Kaiser doctors will not do the Basic Med however.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

In advance of my exam with my GP I emailed the AOPA article to him. I had an appointment set for the exam one week after the BasicMed regulation took effect and my GP told me I was the sixth BasicMed exam he had conducted during the first week. Bottom line is contact your GP before the exam and find out if he is comfortable participating in the program. If he isn't contact the local EAA Chapter and they will likely be able to provide you with athe names of GP's in your area who do conduct BasicMed exams.
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV

Same thing. I sent info regarding Basic Med and copy of the form prior to my GP visit. This was about the time the rule was implemented. No issues at all. The rule is great. I can fly my brothers RV-10 with constant speed prop with four aboard. No need for a 3rd class.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

Definitely ask the Doc before assuming he will do it. I went through several before I was able to find one that would sign it. Seems they are afraid of the unknown.

I went to see my Cardiologist and he gave me a clean bill of health and signed my Basic Med.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Thanks All.

By chance, do any of you have a link to the AOPA article (or maybe a PDF) you could shoot my way>

Quote Originally Posted by LSaupe View Post
    Thanks All.

By chance, do any of you have a link to the AOPA article (or maybe a PDF) you could shoot my way>

https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/pilots...hysician-guide
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV

Many thanks!