Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 7 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: aviator79's build

Default Re: aviator79's build

I like that method Jim. Shows a lot of foresight. The spacing might not be uniform, but I'd bet it's less noticeable visually than having crooked stitches, or some stitches that aren't in line with the rest of the wing.

It's good to know that the fabric on the mounting plates actually helps the tips match the wing countour. I haven't trimmed and fitted mine; I was waiting until after it was covered so I could make sure it lined up with the covered surface correctly. I was worried about the opposite problem, thinking that the fabric thickness on the mounting strip might make the surface of the tip sit too high.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Actually I was able to arrive at a stitch pattern that was identical for all ribs, and so nearly evenly spaced that you cannot tell by looking, and they all line up.

I believe the manual says to mount the tip strips after covering, but before you apply finish tape. The thickness of the fiberglass is less than the thickness of the rib capstrip so yes, you do need to shim it up some if you want a real nice looking flush fit (I'm not saying that mine is perfect).
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Actually I was able to arrive at a stitch pattern that was identical for all ribs, and so nearly evenly spaced that you cannot tell by looking, and they all line up.
    That's exactly what I meant, but the semantics are difficult. I mean that the spacing is non-uniform on a single rib, but not between ribs. In fact, even if your stitches were spaced exactly uniform across the top of each rib (say 2.5 inches), they would still be non-uniform along the bottom because the curvature of the top is changing. So really, your method sacrifices nothing visually. Pretty neat.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I can attest to Jim's method: he let me use his templates. The lacing came out very nice and uniform. And the fabric is still on the wing almost 4 years later! Thanks, Jim.k

Default Inspection holes

New question: Where do you all recommend inspection holes? My EAA tech counselor said that more than the two recommended by the manual would be a good idea. What do you guys think?
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Brian,

People's mileage certainly varies on this.

Inspection rings are cheap - I put one into each bay between the main ribs for inspection purposes (except for the wing tank bays).

A person can always put in the rings, paint the whole works and cut the hole later if they want to get inside the wing for a looksee.

Also got a mess of plates, painted them and put the extras in a box if I ever decided to cut out the holes.

Builder's discretion.

OK forgot to mention on the first pass....also one under the static port and another on the side by the lower stab attach point (S7 with manual trim - not trimmable stab)
    Last edited by Dave S; 02-20-2018 at 03:17 PM.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I have not opened any of my access holes yet, but I put one under the mid-fuselage elevator idler bellcrank location to access that and also be able to inspect the rudder cable swages. I also put access at my pitot as well as under each fuel line outlet fitting.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Default Re: Inspection holes

Quote Originally Posted by aviator79 View Post
    New question: Where do you all recommend inspection holes? My EAA tech counselor said that more than the two recommended by the manual would be a good idea. What do you guys think?
    I put mine so one was always beside a bay or in a bay. I think it works out to two Per wing with the exception of the last bay which I can reach with the tip removed.

Looks like this if “0” is a bay with no inspection ring and X is a bay with one.

I 0 I X I 0 I 0 I X I 0 I 0
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

In addition to the fabric round access holes, I've also incorporated screw on access panels into the following areas:

Wings:

• directly under the outlet fittings of each wing tank
    • at each wing strut to wing joint
    • my pitot/static mast is attached to a screw on access panel
    • beside my magnetometer in the LH wing

Fuselage:

• rear lower fuselage, just forward of the stab trim motor, both sides (I'm putting rudder cable turnbuckles in this area)
    • may need another somewhere on the rear fuselage for battery access - haven't decided if needed or where at this stage.
    • looking at a large access panel forward of the landing gear. Not firm on that yet.

These access panels are big enough to get hands through if something needs to be unscrewed and removed, and they're all made from commercial grade aluminium.

Happy to share photos, dimensions etc for whatever you want.
    David
    SS7 Builder

The most important one to me that I use every year at annual is the inspection cover where Gary mentioned, on the bottom right under the rear elevator idler bellcrank. It also happens to be close to the static pitot port. As Gary says, its great for inspection, lubrication of these items as well as rudder cable swages. The beauty of it is I don't need to remove my baggage compartment sack and crawl into the tailcone to inspect/lube these items. Its the only inspection ring I have cut the fabric out of in 4 years.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS