Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wing root bolt hole slop

Default Re: Wing root bolt hole slop

Called John at kitfox and they are made out of condition "N"

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird19kf View Post
    Attachment 15152 Do you guys agree with all this or have anything to add?
    This I would add. This was discussed a lot in the old days. Sorry to bring up so much of the "antique" conversations all the time. but during one of the olden day conversations, the stresses put on the wing root during flight was discussed. The wisdom then was that the forces at the wing root of a lift strut suported wing are compressive. In other words the forces during flight would end to drive the wing root in to the fuselage rather than trying to tear it away - even on the forward spar. To illustrate this, one guy posted that once while trailering his Kitfox to the airport - nose forward, the attachment holding the wing back came loose and the air flow over the wing resulted in the wing swinging out into a normal flying position that unfortunately chopped down a sign on the side of the road.

What keeps me flying - when I can still hear, but that is another story - is the fact that about 3000 "Amateur" builders have completed Kitfoxes and there is still to be reported an accident due to a structural failure. I put the Amateur in quotes because there are builders from the perfectionists with tons of time holding tools and the guys who held a screwdriver in his hand for the very first time when he started his build. I think your concern is wise as are your questions, but my opinion is that you have thought it through and your solution is good.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Thanks for the replies...I decided just to order the blanks and the rivets from kitfox. I know I wasted time and material but I learned something and that's part of the fun!

I've said before but I'll say it again, this form group is one of the many reasons to build or own a Kitfox. BTW I love my Kitfox!
    Dan G.
    Model IV 1200 - Tri-gear
    Jabiru 2200
    Flying

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post
    ... The wisdom then was that the forces at the wing root of a lift strut suported wing are compressive. In other words the forces during flight would end to drive the wing root in to the fuselage rather than trying to tear it away - even on the forward spar...
    Very true, except when you pull negative G's, perhaps during turbulence, limited aerobatics, or a hard landing.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime