Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Decals?

Default Decals?

I think the N Number needs to be 3" tall and square Block numbers, But does the Experimental decal also need to be the square block letters Or can I choose any font, the reason I am asking is because I am ready to have a lady make me some stencils for my Build Thanks TJay

Default Re: Decals?

TJay, I had an artist friend paint my Experimental on the side of my model 4
    right under the doors in cursive script. D.A.R. said that was fine. They are probably about 3" high.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Briefly reading the Reg I didn't find any reference to what it may look like. I only note that the "between 2" and 6" tall" requirement for the experimental placard falls in the same paragraph as the "Roman" Block letter requirement noted for the Registration markings. This is likely where an FAA rep would read into it and hold you to the No Ornamental quality to the placarding. Looking at photos of aircraft I have seen at Oshkosh, I only see the Block Roman letters.
    Eddie

I have seen an enormous variety. Many of which meet the intent of the rule if not the actual specifications. Some are a bit questionable either way. As someone said it will be up to your DAR or the FSDO who signs off on the aircraft. Here it is from the horses mouth.

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...#se14.1.45_123
    §45.23 Display of marks; general.

(a) Each operator of an aircraft must display on that aircraft marks consisting of the Roman capital letter “N” (denoting United States registration) followed by the registration number of the aircraft. Each suffix letter used in the marks displayed must also be a Roman capital letter.
    (b) When marks include only the Roman capital letter “N” and the registration number is displayed on limited, restricted or light-sport category aircraft or experimental or provisionally certificated aircraft, the operator must also display on that aircraft near each entrance to the cabin, cockpit, or pilot station, in letters not less than 2 inches nor more than 6 inches high, the words “limited,” “restricted,” “light-sport,” “experimental,” or “provisional,” as applicable.
    [Doc. No. 8093, Amdt. 45-5, 33 FR 450, Jan. 12, 1968, as amended by Amdt. 45-9, 42 FR 41102, Aug. 15, 1977; Amdt. 45-24, 69 FR 44863, July 27, 2004]
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)

Thanks Guys, How bout when it states instruments need to be labeled? I really don't have any steam gauges so do I just mark all switches, All limits are set inside the mgl so do I still have to make a list of limits? thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just switches and warning/indicator lights.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Just switches and warning/indicator lights.
    You also need to label fuel valve, flaps, throttle, carb heat, cabin heat, mixture, etc..... every Control, switch, lever, etc has to be labeled.
    -Mike Kraus
    RV-4 built and sold :-(
    RV-10 built and flying
    KitFox SS7 built and flying and now on amphib floats!

You are right Mike. I was just responding to his question about instruments and switches.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks Guys

Nice panel TJay.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF