Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Smoke System Setup - 912ULS

Default Smoke System Setup - 912ULS

Few of you have requested me to share my smoke system setup. As a disclosure, I was not the one that physically installed but I spent several hours searching online different smoke systems, pumps, nozzles, location of nozzle, valves etc....

The components you will see listed are components that have worked well as I was able to collect the best of every post and combined all into the system.

The setup is composed of:

1) Tank
    2) Hose/tubing
    3) Pump
    4) Flow valve
    5) Check valve
    6) Custom Hose
    7) Nozzle

1) TANK
    There's nothing special about the tank. Any tank should work as long as you have a long enough hose to connect to. I didn't have anywhere else to put so I decided on a small size mounted on the firewall.
    IMAGES SET.001.jpg

2) House/Tube
    Also there's nothing special about it. All you need to know if the size of the tube.

3) PUMP
    The choice of pump came from the RV forms, where several guys mentioned this type. I have read so many stories about the pump leaking and this particular type, seemed like worked well. I have now over 60 hours since installation and all is well. I have used almost a full 5 gallon of smoke paying around, so this one seems good still.

The pump can be found here
    http://www.pumpvendor.com/Shurflo_100-009-21.html

IMAGES SET.002.jpg

IMAGES SET.003.jpg

4) FLOW VALVE (Oil Regulator)
    There's a guy all over the web called smoke system helper. His site has several kit systems for RV's and I reach out to him to talk about it. Apparently, the nozzle and flow rate is the secret on getting the proper amount of smoke, so he recommend this valve to adjust the oil flow.

IMAGES SET.004.jpg

Scroll down the page and look for Oil Flow Regulator
    http://www.smoke-system-helper.com/individual-parts/

5) CHECK VALVE
    This prevents the oil to flow into the exhaust by gravity. The oil regulator is always open so since the tank is up high, the oil will always flow down. The check valve is 1psi which prevents the oil from moving into the exhaust. I found out there are several types of check valve and some will be eaten by the smoke oil. I had to replace the first one because it failed due to oil and temperature. So after it failed, I replaced with the one that can handle higher temperatures.

IMAGES SET.004.jpg

Check valve.jpg

The check valve information can be found here:
    https://www.grainger.com/product/GRA...Code=P2IDP2PCP

Please note the seal option here is VITON as it is more resistant to heat.

6) CUSTOM CABLE
    This was a flexible custom made cable to attach to the delivery nozzle. I have seen a lot of steel tubes for this final step be used to find it eventually will crack. So the suggestion was to use a flexible option. We cut it to length so there's no excess cable under the cowling. Please note there's also an elbow fitting that connects to this cable. This can be ordered at several supply stores.

IMAGES SET.005.jpg

6) NOZZLE
    According to the Smoke System Helper, he designed this nozzle to spray an even thin coat of oil into the exhaust that has an angle of 170 degree. This creates an even delivery which yells for an even oil burn. If you have a Rotax engine, make sure you ask for the ROTAX NOZZLE. If not, his general nozzle will work for other engines.

IMAGES SET.006.jpg

You can find the nozzle here. Scroll down as well here to find the SMOKE OIL INJECTOR WITH CLAMP
    http://www.smoke-system-helper.com/individual-parts/

The location of the nozzle was also another topic well discussed. Too close to the muffler, you might not burn all the oil. Too close to cylinder, you might have a drop on RPM. So the suggestion was to place the nozzle 1/2 way between the cylinder head and muffler. This seems to work really well as I don't see any oil residual under the belly.

So that's it. I can't seem to find out how to put the images as high resolution. They seem to be crappy looking at the post preview.

Hope this will be helpful for anyone trying to make a smoke system for the Kitfox or any other airplane. It is fun, simple and adds an additional dimension to the fun of flying!

Any questions, please let me know
    Cheers
    Alex

Default Re: Smoke System Setup - 912ULS

Thanks for the nice write up and photos Alex. Your effort to make it comprehensive is appreciated.
    The photos look fine also.
    Smoke systems are fun and I used mine many times for quicker recognition from other aircraft both on cross country flights with friends. Also in the traffic pattern at my tower controlled home field.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Any idea what these systems would weigh in at ?.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Hi Alex,

Nice setup.

I have a few questions.
    What size is your smoke oil tank and capacity ?
    Make and model of tank?
    How long does it last?
    What size is the barb / hose coming out of the tank bottom?

Thanks
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

KitFox sells a smoke system kit for $300. I have a brand new one never installed. I'll sell it for $260 including shipping to continental US, but mine also includes an electric solenoid valve ($59 from AS&S), so you can hide it remotely and with 1 switch you can turn on the solenoid and the smoke pump.

I'll also post this in the classifieds.

Thanks
    -Mike Kraus
    RV-4 built and sold :-(
    RV-10 built and flying
    KitFox SS7 built and flying and now on amphib floats!

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Quote Originally Posted by N213RV View Post
    KitFox sells a smoke system kit for $300. I have a brand new one never installed. I'll sell it for $260 including shipping to continental US, but mine also includes an electric solenoid valve ($59 from AS&S), so you can hide it remotely and with 1 switch you can turn on the solenoid and the smoke pump.

I'll also post this in the classifieds.

Thanks
    I PM you through the classified add
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Quote Originally Posted by kmach View Post
    Hi Alex,

Nice setup.

I have a few questions.
    What size is your smoke oil tank and capacity ?
    Make and model of tank?
    How long does it last?
    What size is the barb / hose coming out of the tank bottom?

Thanks
    To Ben honest, I am not sure. Kitfox sells the tank. It is a plastic small container. I would guess it holds 2 liters.

If I ran continuously, it will last 1 minute of smoke.

I don't know the size bard coming from the tank. Need to measure it.

Alex