Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: firewall forward

Default firewall forward

Hello folks,
    I am about 2 months out from ordering the firewall forward for a SS7 and Rotax 100 carb engine. After talking to Debra, (she has always been very helpful) I thought I would reach out and ask if there are thoughts about placing the order, items that may not come with the package that I will need down the road.

Default Re: firewall forward

Jim, the firewall forward packages are pretty complete minus propellor choice and associated spacers and bolts.
    Not sure if oil cooler is included.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I just took delivery of my firewall forward about a month and a half ago. Oil Cooler is there in the 912iS kit.
    Eddie

Highly recommend you get the optioal oil thermostat kit. Also get the remote oil pressure kit. Its also a good time to decide on your engine monitoring system and get those sensors, because most of them mount forward the firewall. Also the cabin heater kit.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

The oil cooler came with mine too. The new Rotax engines have a different type oil pressure sensor - a smaller, lighter unit that is a true pressure transducer. I have been told of some isolated issues with them, but they are supposed to be better for being mounted directly on the engine - they come that way. I chose to take mine off and use one of the older style VDO variable resistance sensors that matched my gauge, and mounted it remotely on the firewall as suggested by Jim. Those old sensors are pretty bulletproof when they aren't mounted on that vibrating engine. I ran -3 size teflon-lined SS braided hose to it. If you're going with a glass panel, I'm sure you'll be able to accomodate either type, but if you have a separate gauge, make sure it matches the sensor. I also used an oil temp thermostatic valve.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thank's guys, all good info.

Jim

Hello, Pardon the lack of of knowledge, literally my first post, but what is the firewall forward kit?

In the airplane world, the firewall forward is referring to literally everything on the airplane from the firewall, forward. This includes the engine mount, the engine, the cowling, the propeller and all of the other support system components.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Thank you. I guess I am confused, because the kitfox firewall forward (at least what I am able to determine) states that the engine in extra and from the looks of it, the prop as well. I did not seem to find any info on exactly what was included in the firewall forward kit listed on their site.

I am just trying to add up costs and it seems with the kit at about 25k and a motor at about another 20k, I would have thought everything would be included between the kit and motor costs.

Avionics and lighting will also add some cost. ...and paint.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med