Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What battery type do you run?

Default What battery type do you run?

I'm in the market for a new batter for my IV. The old one sat for 10 years and just won't take a charge for some reason. My old one was a wet cell. I assume everyone is using glass matt these days?

Default Re: What battery type do you run?

I have been using a Scorpion the last couple years. Out cranks the Oddyssey PC-680 it replaced.

Jeff

I've been using the odessey 680 for 3 months. Its behind the pilot seat and cranks an o200 very well.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

I have been using the Aerovoltz Li-Fe battery for 3.5 years. It has been great; no need to trickle charge it-it holds a full charge for 2 months (I have heard they will hold charge for a year or more). A full 10 lbs lighter than a gell cell. I will be replacing it one of these days with the newer EarthX Li-Fe battery with built-in cell balancing and over-voltage protection. There are some cons to these type of batteries: when they run down it happens quick without much warning; some folks are afraid of fire but the Li-Fe is much safer than the Li-Ion. I believe the positives greatly outweigh the negatives in my personal opinion.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I've had an Aerovolt set aside for my 7 Super Sport. It occupied a space on my closet shelf for two years prior to installing it in my Kitfox project. It sat so far another 8 months after installing it and still held a charge even after enduring a pretty hot Phoenix summer. I figured I would be buying replacement for sure but after balance charging this one it came up to full charge and is looking healthy according to the chargers diagnostics. Love the weight savings.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Another vote for the "old school" Odyssey 680.

I went flying this past Sunday and had no problem cranking up my big bore 912 even though the plane has sat for several weeks in an unheated hangar in Northern Wisconsin temps.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I use the Earth-X with internal battery management system in my SS7 with 912iS engine. Never any problem with it. I used the Aerovotz 16 cell prior to the Rotax mandate that 912iS must use a battery with internal battery management. (no warranty otherwise).

Beeryboats

I am using the odyssey PC-680. I do have a dual electrical system with a cross tie so one 680 is on the firewall and the other is behind the Pilot's seat. ....8 years running and the voltage under load (cranking) and after sitting is still right where it started when both were new. The voltage under cranking load tells a person somewhat how a batteries capacity is holding up. Odyssey has a specification for what the voltage should be when it is sitting and not connected to a system.

This weekend the weather gremlins were asleep and I fired up the kitfox after sitting in the hangar for 2 months (the plane...not me; and, yes I am ashamed the plane sat that long!) and it started right up like it was last run yesterday....and that is without a battery minder during the hiatus.

Don't ever waste your money on a knock off AGM battery from batteries minus......they are crap in my limited experience.

I think your experience with the wet cell is about what a person can expect from them.
    Last edited by Dave S; 01-31-2017 at 10:19 AM.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I'm using a Deka ETX-14, which is what Kitfox supplied in my kit. It is also an AGM unit, made in the U.S.A. 220 cca. They have a state of charge chart based on unconnected voltage also. I priced them recently, and they are as low as $68 online. My thought is that with an SS7 & a Rotax, a little more weight forward of the firewall is probably good from a w&b standpoint. Putting that weight in the form of an inexpensive, readily available "motorsport" battery like the Deka makes sense to me. It's a little smaller & 4 lbs. lighter than the PC680. Hope it's going to work out OK.

I finished all the wiring on the airplane and my instrument panel yesterday... a milestone! I'm ready to do a partial "smoke test" today... probably post some pictures on my thread sometime soon.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Inexpensive & gets the job done.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas