Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 15 of 47 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: John's Build

Default Re: John's Build

The clear is a 3M polyurethane anti-abrasion tape that I have used on the leading edge of my wood props. I usually use that thin stuff if I want to protect structural tubing under an uncushioned Adel clamp, or even one that is cushioned sometimes. The black is a self-fusing rubber (I think EPDM) tape when I want a little more cushion or clearance, or want to use a wire tie for instance. I'll use it around wire bundles sometimes too.

Speaking of wire ties, there is an article in the March Kitplanes magazine where the author states that it is "poor practice " to use them on aircraft. I have to disagree... just like everything we do with aircraft, there are proper ways to do things, proper tools and materials, etc., and then there's the wrong way. I think that lacing your wire bundles/runs is great, but I also believe that wire ties can be great for that too. I like the T&B ones with the S.S. insert, UV resistant black. They are very high quality, and pretty expensive, but I believe they are one of the best. They have to be tensioned properly and not too loosely. People complain about the sharp edge when you cut off the tail... it's very easy to cut those perfectly flush with a small flush diagonal cutter. I've got 'em all over my 26 year old Thorp, including the engine compartment, and there has never been a problem with a single one that I'm aware of. I've got them all over my Kitfox too. Lacing can be improperly done also... too tight or too loose, and it can just as abrasive when dirt gets under it as a loose wire tie. Tighten your lacing too tight & the much thinner (than the average wire tie) contact surface can do a number on the insulation more easily than a tie. Funny, I see that on my brand new Rotax engine, Rotax installed wire ties in multiple places to keep ignition wiring, hoses, etc. where they belong, and they're pretty cheap looking ones at that. There are factory built airplanes that have also used wire ties extensively. Wire ties seem to be the latest "whipping boy" among some "experts". Don't read me wrong - I believe that lacing is probably the best technique many times, but wire ties can be perfectly fine, even great if used properly, and they're so easy. Lacing can be a real PITA in some locations. The writer's statement just rubbed me the wrong way.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks John. That 3M product comes at a premium doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Thanks John. That 3M product comes at a premium doesn't it?
    Yes, it's not cheap. It used to be difficult to buy single rolls also, but I think that Aircraft Spruce sells it now. I use it mainly because I have it for the props, but it works nicely for me. I think the stuff I have is .008" thick.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

HI John,

I haven't been on the site for a while so it is great to see your getting to the end on the project! Looks fantastic work as always. I had to laugh at your comments about your painting though! I am sure you paint job is one that most of us would be very proud to achieve! Anyway, good luck with the rest of the project and hope to see the report of 'first flight' before too much longer.

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Thank you for that, Ross. Seriously, the painting leaves much to be desired. First, I spilled a bunch when the cup came off my gun, so I didn't have quite as much as I needed to do a better job - especially on one of the cowl pieces which are white. So it's a little thin in one area when I ran out. It's an acrylic polyurethane and hard to "blend in" with an overcoat in that area. The paint is very expensive, and I decided not to buy anymore at this time. There's a little run, and a couple of small pieces have a pretty good "orange peel" effect due to the epoxy primer that I started out shooting with a cheap Harbor Freight gun that I hadn't used before. I quickly switched to my old standby Buffalo (Binks knock-off) gun. So, no, really it's not a very professional job, but it looks tolerable to me - I'm not very fussy in that regard. Painting outdoors, even with great conditions like I had, can be a little hard due to the light... there's nothing like good lighting from all angles!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

Looks good John.
    I have learned over the years that not all things in life need to be perfect. White is the most difficult color to spray in my opinion. I am always amazed when I buy paint what the total of the bill is. I have a friend who has painted two planes with water base house paint with rollers, from 30 feet it looks good, not so much from 5 feet. So again perfection is in the builders mind of acceptance.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Flybyjim View Post
    Looks good John.
    I have learned over the years that not all things in life need to be perfect. White is the most difficult color to spray in my opinion. I am always amazed when I buy paint what the total of the bill is. I have a friend who has painted two planes with water base house paint with rollers, from 30 feet it looks good, not so much from 5 feet. So again perfection is in the builders mind of acceptance.

Jim
    How very true... thank you Jim!

Dick B - the comment about NASA was interesting. I didn't know that... thanks!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

White is the best of all colors to paint, because no matter how badly you
    do it, in the bright sunlight it always looks perfect ... You can use a broom
    to paint white, and the results will be good ...

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    Thank you for that, Ross. Seriously, the painting leaves much to be desired. First, I spilled a bunch when the cup came off my gun, so I didn't have quite as much as I needed to do a better job - especially on one of the cowl pieces which are white. So it's a little thin in one area when I ran out. It's an acrylic polyurethane and hard to "blend in" with an overcoat in that area. The paint is very expensive, and I decided not to buy anymore at this time. There's a little run, and a couple of small pieces have a pretty good "orange peel" effect due to the epoxy primer that I started out shooting with a cheap Harbor Freight gun that I hadn't used before. I quickly switched to my old standby Buffalo (Binks knock-off) gun. So, no, really it's not a very professional job, but it looks tolerable to me - I'm not very fussy in that regard. Painting outdoors, even with great conditions like I had, can be a little hard due to the light... there's nothing like good lighting from all angles!

I'm not much of a painter. I know that metal flake can be difficult. It was difficult to see what was going on with the white... lighting, it's all about the light. Maybe I should've used a broom!

I built a paint booth in my garage to do my first homebuilt almost 30 years ago.
    I had fluorescent lights from every angle.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

JREvens, My rule of thumb after painting my Kitfox, is if you think you need 5 lights, use ten. Otherwise double it, can't have too many!
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)