Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What battery type do you run?

Default Re: What battery type do you run?

You know what? My Rotax warranty is void if I use anything but the EarthX.
    Eddie

I looked at the AVIDflyer site where that photo's owner posted it. Reading that thread reveals quite a controversy over Lithium batteries of any type. EarthX has two pretty interesting posts there. I'll stick with the EarthX.
    Eddie

If you're going to use Lithium, I think that EarthX with its integrated BMS is one the best and probably the best choice at this time. The big issue in my mind is whether to go to that type at all. The picture posted by Av8r3400 is very telling concerning the increased risks potentially associated with the type, at least at this point in time. I too am opting for an AGM type, not only for that reason but also because I believe the extra weight on the firewall will actually be useful for my particular weight & balance situation.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

That's what so nice about experimental, you can do what you want and feel comfortable with. I will probably go with EarthX when it is time to replace my AeroVoltz Li-Fe. 3.5 years now with the AeroVoltz (no BMS system) and no problems and never a need for a trickle charger.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    That's what so nice about experimental, you can do what you want and feel comfortable with. I will probably go with EarthX when it is time to replace my AeroVoltz Li-Fe. 3.5 years now with the AeroVoltz (no BMS system) and no problems and never a need for a trickle charger.
    Right on, Jim! Well said. BTW, the "old technology" gel cell lead acid batteries that I use in my Thorp have always lasted at least 6 or 7 years, and I never have to put a trickle charger on them either... sometimes have gone several months between flights over the 26 years since I built it. Always starts that "big" Lycoming right up, anytime of the year.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Has anyone else gotten an email from Kitfox recommending to discontinue use of the Aerovoltz battery immediately?
    Just wondering what the reason for this is?
    Rotax 912ULS / Whirlwind Prop
    Garmin G3X Touch

Yes I got that email from Kitfox. Apparently they have heard about an incident or two with Aerovoltz batteries, probably overcharging or uneven cell charging since Aerovoltz has no built-in charging management system like the EarthX. They are offering a good deal to replace your Aerovoltz with the EarthX. I ordered it and received it today. It comes with a nice aluminum battery tray.
    I haven't installed it yet and am still flying with my Aerovoltz since it has been working fine for me for almost 4 years. Kitfox is just trying to keep us safe and reduce their liability.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks for the info Jim,
    I have also been very happy with the Aerovoltz battery so far but I guess I should give Kitfox a call and see what their offer is.
    Rotax 912ULS / Whirlwind Prop
    Garmin G3X Touch

I just got my (Aerovoltz replacement) Earthex yesterday. I wanted to mention that it came with LOTS of fasteners, too. Thanks, Debra and John!

I've had no issues with the Aerovoltz either. I plan to use it as a backup for EFI components. I'm thinking of mounting it somewhere in the cockpit so that I can just throw it out the door if it gets hot

LOL. A spin off of the flower sack?