Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oratex finishing tapes on compound curves

Default Oratex finishing tapes on compound curves

We are putting the finishing tapes on the tail feathers right now. According to the Kitfox instructions the trailing edge of the elevator should be covered with a 4" tape or optionally a 3" bias tape. With oratex, there arn't any bias tapes. I can't seem to get the 4" tape around the radius and get it to lay flat even with quite a bit of tension applied to the tape.

Anyone else have this problem? Did you end up using 2" tape instead?
    John Grueter
    N188LR
    Kenosha, WI
    Series 7 Super Sport - flying!

Default Re: Oratex finishing tapes on compound curves

My conversation with Lars last week revealed It would not be achievable with Four inch tape. I was sold 2" tapes for that and the You Tubers all seem to use 2". Im sure John will be replying soon. I havent done mine yet but he has.
    Eddie

There is definitely no way to make the 4" tape go around those curves. As I'm writing this I'm nowhere near my elevator to look, but I probably used 2".
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Yup, 2 inch for me.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

In case you guys cutting your own tapes haven't thought of it, it should be easy to cut your own bias tape. Just lay out your cut lines at 45 degrees to the fabric weave, easy-peasy. I'll bet a 3" bias tape would go around no problem, and look better too-1.5" on upper and lower visible surfaces instead of a thin 1" or less.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Hey Jim.
    I have thought of it but I believed that this was Oratex and it doesn't behave like Poly Fiber so I was certain cutting at 45 degrees would do nothing as I thought the fibers were locked up with the color. I just tried it with a two inch tape I cut at 45 and it does help! Thanks.

Cutting tapes from some of the Oratex fabric colors will show a thin white line of the underlying fabric along the edges. Oratex now has paint pens that match the color.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Or in my case the Cub yellow has a perfect match at the hobby store. Testors model paint in the little bottle matches perfectly. I applied a bit with little sponges that resemble Q tips or womens eye make-up applicators. Just happened across it when in Michaels trying to get sponge sticks for the Oratex. I have learned now how not to abrade the color coat. Hopefully I wont be seeking out silver Testors to match.
    Eddie

I need some guidance from the experts. That is those that have covered your horizontal stabilizer with Oratex. I'm trying to figure out how to do the edge tapes. I'm thinking of using a 4" tape on the trailing surface, and a 2" tape on the leading edge. The question is what to do on the outside edge of the stabilizer where the curve and transition from the smaller leading edge to the larger diameter tube on the rear. What did you do here? Pictures would be appreciated. Lars is trying to help me, but he's out of the country. He sent some photos, but I'm unable to understand the process.
    Thanks
    John

Looking back for photos, I find it has been embarrassingly long since I was doing that covering. I believe I did use 2 and 4 inch tapes. The first photo (rotated obviously) shows stretching around the corner about to start. I then stretched it around the big end enough to get a short straight section. The second photo shows that tape complete. I then did the 4 inch tape just long enough to cover the edge of the end tape. I could not find a close up of that.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon