Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: The Wait is Over

Default Re: The wait is over.

Oh Man! could you imagine having that carbon fiber run all the way from the panel to the spinner. How cool would that be?! Nice job Steve.

Thanks Eddie. We thought about making the panel cover carbon but I have 3 GPS antennas that will reside under that cover. Signals won't penetrate carbon so couldn' use it there.
    Next little carbon project might be baggage compartment floor boards.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Beautiful day here in Phoenix. Sit in the sun and sand on the carbon fiber lower cowling scoop.
    Over the weekend we started laying up carbon fiber baggage compartment floor boards.
    Also made two boot cowl ventilation NACA ducts.

IMG_3152.jpg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I like the idea of installing the wing tip attachment strips early like you did instead of later after the fabric is on. I am at that step now and was thinking of going against the manual on this. Have never done any of this work before and was happy to see you do it. Especially since you have worked with fabric before.

I'm getting my carbon fiber education on this build. Very exciting and rewarding to see this process. Still much to learn but my professors, Phil and Bill are very patient and generous with knowledge and time. Thank you guys.

Fresh air naca intakes bonded to inside of boot cowl at proper locations to miss
    cockpit fuselage tubing. Little carbon doors will attach to regulate air intake.
    IMG_3269.jpg

Shaping carbon fiber NACA ducts in boot cowl for pilot and co-pilot freah air intake.
    IMG_3309.jpg

Finished with shaping. Now filling pin holes and lots of sanding to prep
    for future painting will take place.
    IMG_3312.jpg

Carbon doors to regulate the fresh air intake through the boot cowl naca ducts.
    They will get painted when resin dries. The metal rod axels go through the drilled mounting bolts.
    IMG_3271.jpg

Three carbon fiber floorboards fitted and placed in baggage compartment. Boards are are a sandwich of carbon, foam and carbon. Very light weight but strong. Will not paint these to save weight but they will be bolted down to prevent displacement during turbulance. The bolts will also provide attachment points for securing a cargo rentention net.
    IMG_3297.jpg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Man thats looking good. I still think its a shame that the carbon fiber is going to be covered with paint.
    Eddie

Really good, Steve! That is looking like such a beautiful airplane!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks Eddie and John.

Making baggage floorboards.
    IMG_3272.jpg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Fitting tinted acrylic windshield over the weekend. Set it in the sun for a little while to "soften" it up some. 90 degrees this weekend so that didn't take long to make it slightly more pliable.
    Fitted one wing on temporarily just to make sure there is just enough clearance for wing folding without hurting fabric or paint on the finished wing roots once the winshield is secured in it's final position.There is enough clearance.
    IMG_3399.jpg

Looks like I'll get a good fit at the boot cowl also. Seems like a big step forward. Used a mini belt sander to remove excess acrylic material in the right spots.
    Worked great. Will hand block sand all edges before final assembly with fine sandpaper.
    IMG_3402.jpg

IMG_3395.jpg

Thanks to Papa and Bill P. for guidance and assistance. Would never even try moving one of these expensive windshields without help much less fitting it on and off several times.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Good progress, Steve! How much, if any, material did you leave outboard of the root rib cap strip?
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime