Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camping stoves

Default Camping stoves

Any thoughts on what is the safest camping stoves/fuel to be flying around with?
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Default Re: Camping stoves

I have a MSR Dragonfly multifuel. I use campstove fuel, or whatever fuel is in the wing tank, which is usually premium unleaded .
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

I favor a coleman single burner gasoline stove which can be fed off the unleaded auto fuel in the wing tanks - inexpensive - small - feet fold up - doesn't weigh much. If the air pump on the stove needs a drop of oil - that can be found on the end of the engine oil dipstick. Downside it's a one burner but we work around that no problem.

The 100LL will burn quite well in the stove too....but that might not be recommended due to the lead fumes and potential deposits in the generator/burner of the stove.

I am not too keen on the really exotic, expensive gasoline stoves - I think they are a little fragile. Just my opinion.

Propane stoves....too much junk to bring with IMHO.

I am always careful putting the stove away and maintaining it - that prevents spills & leaks. If a person is concerned about the fuel in the stove tank - it can always be removed from the stove tank before loading in the plane.

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive

Packing a Kitfox is like packing for a backpacking trip, weight is everything. We do a lot of backpacking in the backcountry of Idaho. I currently use a Brunson canister fuel stove. These things are the great. The stove folds up small enough to fit in your pocket and the fuel canisters are lightweight last a long time, and are indestructible. Now you wont be cooking steak on these things since they are only designed to basically heat water but the Mountain House backpacking meals are great Lightweight, most taste great and feed a family of 4 pretty well. MSR also make a canister type stove which works well too. Cost is around $50 for the stove and $4 for the fuel canister.

I dig a pit, find some downed white oak and hickory, make some chips to get a bed of coals, if its cold out, after cooking , i dig a pit where the tent is going, throw the coals in the hole and burry them at least 6" deep, then set the tent up so a corner is over the coals, never got any smoke in the tent, but it will take the chill off of a 35 to 40 degree night.
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Looks like no one opts for propane. I brought the question up because my wife is fond of using propane (we have been car camping with a 2-burner Coleman the last few years) and suggested getting a single burner model for when we fly/camp. I note that on the latest Coleman canisters there is a warning "Never put in luggage or take on trains or aircraft". Seems like if they are safe camping in the mountains, that they would be safe at Kitfox altitudes though. The canisters are a bit heavy; of course one canister usually lasts us a week at Oshkosh. May need to dig out our old backpacking stove.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Gary,
    I use a single burner propane stove. Never had a problem with it. Like you said, the bottles are heavier than I like. 10,500 is about as high as I ever need to go.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

I would recommend something that requires no fuel to pack along. http://www.emberlit.com/en/ there are many different products such as this one that only require the wood you find in your camping area. save weight and no risk of having a compressed fuel in your plane.

I like alcohol stoves. Even if the fuel leaks all over everything, it just evaporates, and nothing stinks later. I've made a zillion of the stoves
    from this link - Mostly easy, and free.

http://zenstoves.net/CatCanStove.htm

However I also like my MSR Whisperlite(s) a lot and we use those a lot
    for camping.

Regards,
    Jeff

I always thought one of these would be pretty awesome. A little pricey but it not only cooks, but charges your electronics.

http://biolitestove.com/products/campstove/
    Mike Bentley
    Model IV-1200
    Jabiru 2200A #438
    Rotec Aerosport LCH Heads
    Ellison EFS-2 Throttle Body
    Prince Prop (64x34)
    My SPOT Page