Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Raven (kitfox 2/3 clone) restoration

Default Re: Raven (kitfox 2/3 clone) restoration

Here is a picture of my KF3. Notice the controlled bend in the pushrods. Also, note the nylon straps to keep the seat from flexing and hitting the pushrods when the seat is heavily loaded.
    Attached Images Attached Images

All three 4130 tubes came from the factory bent. I had to bend all three a little more to clear the seat.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Quote Originally Posted by rv9ralph View Post
    Here is a picture of my KF3. Notice the controlled bend in the pushrods. Also, note the nylon straps to keep the seat from flexing and hitting the pushrods when the seat is heavily loaded.
    Hi Ralph,
    Just seems so wrong to do it that way, it looks like i would have to bend mine more to clear seats, i am still working on other solutions but believe in keeping it a simple as possible.

I like your flap control set up more than mine, could you send me pictures of handle at the extreme end of travel in both directions.

thanks

Denis

I am looking at making a push rod that is split into two rods, running parallel with one welded under the other to provide a drop down to clear seats.
    Does anyone know what the maximum aerodynamic force that could be applied to the controls so i can test my push rod idea.

thanks

Denis

Denis,
    The current method of bending the pushrod to avoid interference with the bottom of the seat is a proven method. It has been in service on hundreds of Kitfoxes. I would recommend not re-engineering it.

As to my flap handle (I did not build my Kitfox). I will look in my photo library to see if I have any that would help. To describe it... the alum plate has 3 dentents for flap position. the handle has a spring loaded push button on the end (like old VW hand brakes) there is an AN3 bolt that exits the side of the tube (controlled with the button in the end) that fits into the 3 detents to set flap position.

The big misunderstanding about the flaperons is that they work like flaps on any other aircraft. They really affect pitch trim due to loading more than anything else... first notch when solo, second notch with passenger, etc. The KF3 did not have pitch trim, when properly rigged though, it will maintain attitude when at cruise.

Ralph

Here is a picture of current mock up of instrument panel.
    Still have to finalize a few things, switch's and circuit breakers will be directly above a/s gauge, fuel gauge will be just to the left of those.
    Mag switch will be left of MGL E1, radio and intercom panel will be to the right of the FLYPAD mount (for Foreflight).
    I also included side shot to see space behind panel.
    I am planning to mount a Belite aoa guage in hud position a v-brace.
    Let me know what you think.

I recommend mounting the engine monitor, airspeed and altimeter higher in your panel as these are primary scan instruments. Do you have enough depth where you want to put the radio? Also, do you have to put in a transponder somewhere?

Is that some kind of Steampunk header tank in front of the panel? I've never seen one quite like that.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Hi Denis,

I preface my comments by saying that elsewhere in this forum I expressed the view that it is dangerous to get between and Kitfox pilot and his/her panel!! But as you put it up there asked for comments, here is my 2 bobs worth!

You have 5 round instruments. I would arrange them smack in front of you, in a 2 x 2 x 1 pattern from top to bottom. That is:

Top, in front of eyes and just below glare shield I would put A/S L and EMS R
    Second row, I'd put the Alt L and VSI R
    Botton, cantered between the others, the balance/turn indicator. Or, to the left and with switches to the right in a couple of short rows.

I love the Ifly mount - I used it and it is much less clunky than the Air gizmo garmin mount. I wouldn't worry to much if it had to moved a little to the right to get the other primary instruments arranged in easy scanning view. Then the radio and transponder to the right again.

just my 2 bobs worth - I have just finished a model 7 and it appears your panel is a bit tighter. than the 7, so I guess it is a bit of challenge to ensure it is all functional as well as visually pleasing!

Look forward to seeing the results.

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Just as a general comment regarding Ipad (or any kind of tablet) mounts; I would not want to permanently mount any of them in a panel cutout because as a consumer product they become obsolete and unsupported so quickly. Then you have to make a new panel for the next generation of tablet-asking for too much work in the near future and also reduced resale value. They are wonderful devices, but I would mount them external to the panel using a Ram mount or something similar, or just use it like a kneeboard. The ability to move it or swivel it around in the airplane can become quite useful to get away from glare.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Good point ! State of the art is advancing very quickly.