Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox AC :)

Default Re: Kitfox AC :)

Paul, surprizingly its been decent here the past few days, but Saturday its suppose to be back to normal temps 90's-100's, there is a car/airplane show at KUUV Sullivan MO , I will be giving it the test then, I have it connected to a small 12 volt battery so its not hooked to the aircraft system, the battery is 4 lbs of the 13.2 lbs total, i could run a cigarette light plug off of it but opted for a portable set up for now, I ran it for 2 hrs last night, it held the 50 degree outlet temp with ambient temp at 75
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

I need to build one! The pictures are great, and will be a big help.

I worked on my plane Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. I was replacing hoses, changing oil, added water, and tweaking the carbs. I worked on my plane about 5 hours on Monday, and Tuesday quitting about 1:30 to avoid the heat. Yesterday I put in about 6 or 7 hours from 10:00 am to 4:00 balancing the carbs. When I started it was 99 degrees in the shade, but I was having to stand on the Tarmac to run the engine so I could tweaking the carbs. I got home physically exhausted and my right leg was throbbing with pain! It is obvious my knee is not ready to take that much abuse. I took 2 pain pills, and a muscle relaxer, and laid down. This heat definitely getting to me! Also, the Doctor was right I'll need to wean myself from the crutches. However, it is kind of hard to work on a plane and walk on crutches at the same time. I was planning on attending the Kitfox Factory Flyin. If I'm going to the Kitfox factory, I need to get out to the airport to finish up. I have to have it done by Saturday so I can go do a test flight, before leaving. However, I am having serious doubts that I'll be able to finish in time because of the heat, and because of my knee. Time will tell.

Again thanks for the photos, I plan on building one of you AC Units. I looked at some of the ice cooler types, but it's 20+ pounds of ice and a cooler full of water to contend with after the flight.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Your creativity never fails to amaze me. Nice work!
    RobS

tell me Paul. is your knee able to be fixed, or is the doctor putting it off and not wanting to do it, or is it you not wanting to fix it. If it's you than just do it, you will be surprised at what can be done.

I hope to be at the kitfox flyin, already redoing the flight path because of tfr's. hope to see you there.

chase, that's a spiffy idea. I am blessed with morning temp right at 60 degrees so I just go fly in the morning . otherwise, I would build me one

one last note: for me it's 100 during the day and 60 at night, but if I go up over 500 ft off the ground the temps go up real fast, like 80. just do the kitfox thing and stay low.
    Last edited by Slyfox; 08-13-2015 at 09:22 AM.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

I hear you on the knees, i've had to wear braces since i cant remember when in the 70's i guess.. The fans i used are computer fans , i used a box brake but a finger brake would make things allot easier. I used .025 6061 so no need to subtract thickness when making the door panels , just make sure they are square when you inject the foam, in the door and substructure of the main box, pay mind to do one end, let it expand then come in from other end to finish
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Thanks Rob 👍😁 you should see my boat it has a built in trailer, the wheels and hitch retract, the state of MO wasnt sure how to title it due to no need for a seperate trailer, ended up titled as a boat but had to put running lights on it along with marine nav lights 😎
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 08-13-2015 at 10:36 AM.
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

I try to avoid surgery because if a bleeding disorder. the Doctor told me 6 to 8 weeks for the bone to heal. He said I could be effected by it for upwards of 3 to 6 months, something about being older. He said older people don't heal as well from breaks. It been 6.5 weeks, so I've got another week and a half to make the 8 week window. I broke my finger and it took almost 2 years to stop hurting. I went to the Doctor on Monday, I told him it was greatly improved, that I had been pretty religious about using the crutches. He said he didn't think I needed to have surgery on the torn meniscus but he said it would depend on how I felt in a couple more weeks. However as bad as my knee hurts after standing on it for 3 days working on the plane I may be going back for another look see. I normally don't take pain pills. Whe I had my cancer surgery, I only took them the day after the surgery. I ended up taking two yesterday.

Today I went out and finished up a few things got there at 10 am it was a cool 89. I need to build one of those cooling boxes.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Chase - a trailer? I would have thought you would have figured a way to couple up the engine and steering so you could have just driven it home !
    RobS

I doubt the AC Box will cool the whole interior of the plane but the way its set up, cool air around your shoulders and head, it should make it more comfortable, i will report after Saturdays Flight,,
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Rob, then its considered amphibious, cost goes up on everything
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL