Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 14 of 47 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: John's Build

Default Re: John's Build

In Colorado there is no sales or use tax on aircraft parts, hence that's not an issue for me (I believe). When I built my first homebuilt I registered it quite a few years before it was finished. The law was different then, and the state contacted me about taxes. They backed off when I said that it was an incomplete project, built from individual parts (much of the material purchased in Colorado, with tax duly paid).
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

How many 50 ml. tubes of Hysol 9460 did you use on the laker leading edge?

Oh man, Rob - that's a good question. I think it probably took at least a couple of them. I honestly don't remember.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

Well, it was a good couple of days around here. A great break in the weather, with warm temperatures and light winds. I finally completed my painting - cowling, wing tips, and spinner. All done on my driveway. Typical paint job for me - lots of flaws, but it will do. The wing tips came out nice.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jrevens; 02-18-2017 at 12:50 AM.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

I'm starting to get more serious about finding a home for this airplane. About all I've got left of the basics is the windshield & turtle deck. Here are some shots of the back of my panel. It's "old school" steam gauges... what I wanted from the beginning. Basic VFR, but I do have ADS-B in & out and a single axis autopilot. I'll post pictures of the front as soon as I get the engraved placards from my local small engraving shop. I'm mounting the GPS antenna under the glare shield.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

As usual John, the quality of your build is superb, paint job looks good from here in NY and very tidy wiring job behind the panel. Mine looks like a bowl of spaghetti that fell on the floor! can you tell me what you used for your ADSB in/out . I will eventually have to equip , but I am waiting for prices to come down. Bruce N199CL

Thank you Bruce. I'm using a Navworx ADS600-EXP UAT. I bought it while at OSH a couple of years ago when they were several hundred dollars cheaper - I think it was $1299. The current controversy with the FAA is finally getting resolved, & it looks like my unit will probably only require a software change (which I think can be done wirelessly via WiFi). It's been kind of stupid & frustrating, and honestly a little reminiscent of the Bob Hoover fiasco with the FAA. The units have worked flawlessly as is, according to everything I've heard from other owners. It's a real neat little unit & was the best value for all the features - built-in WAAS gps, ability to communicate via RS-232 with the transponder & alt. encoder (or if you have an older transponder a sensor that clamps around the antenna wire to get the squawk code is available), and built-in WiFi to communicate with my iFly gps and send weather & traffic to it & to my iPad both. I bought a new mode C Garmin transponder as I don't have the need for mode S, and they are much less expensive. Also, I understand that the periodic checks required are less involved & cheaper with mode C.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

Thanks Larry & Eddie. Eddie - yes, the dots are for masking. I used a lot of the S.S. tinnerman washers for flat head screws, & I roughed the backs of them up & bonded them to the fiberglass. I like the look, and there are some good advantages to using them that way with fiberglass, especially with holes close to the edge in my opinion. I also made a tool to modify those type washers by opening up the hole, and bonded them on as reinforcing/decorative bezels for the camlocs.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

Thanks John for the reply on the ADSB solution, I have been reading about the FAA vs Navworxs and its good to hear it is being resolved. Sounds like a good bang for the ADSB buck. Like every other technology over the years the price of this stuff always comes down with longevity and competition, so I will be patient. Can't wait to see your finished product , and hope to see it close up some day like at OSH per chance? Bruce N199CL

Ok John, I have questions. You have a couple different products under your clamps to protect the airframe. Clear and black. What are you using there?
    Eddie