Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 10 of 47 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: John's Build

Default Re: John's Build

John
    How much do you have invested in the Oratex? I am intrigued by the one step process! Website doesn't list any cost information. Did you go with the 600 or 6000? Did you use the wider material or the narrow?
    I built RC aircraft for 30 yrs so this sounds pretty easy! Not to mention all the painting and sanding that I really am not looking forward to...

Regards
    Jeff

Hi Jeff,
    The Oratex is very expensive, and it probably doesn't help that it has to come from Germany to a distributor. I paid a little over $6k for most everything I needed. This topic has been discussed in a lot of detail on this forum - search "Oratex", & also look at my comments on this thread. To compare the price & advantages/disadvantages between Oratex and PolyFiber (or any other Ceconite type system) is not as easy as it might seem. Obviously using Oratex is not quite like using a model covering system, and is also somewhat easier than PolyFiber in some ways and harder in others. There is a big advantage in lack of toxicity - it can be done in your home, without breathing protection. It is stronger and lighter. The cost and weight of the covering job will be consistent from job to job, as opposed to PolyFiber, which can vary drastically based on how much & what type of paint you use, what type of painting and safety equipment you may have to buy, whether you do it yourself or hire someone else to do it, etc., etc. Time is also a factor - it probably takes longer to install Oratex fabric (it did for me), but then you are done for the most part. Painting, as you know, is a big, time-consuming job. There are most likely many other comments I could make, but the bottom line is that I would do it again ( that's me... others may feel differently).
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

About cutting scallops on the Laker Leading edge. I used a gallon can for the radius just slide it in till it lines up with the ribs and draw the arc. To cut it I use a pair of tin snips either left or right hand depending on what is more comfortable. Took about ten minutes per wing. Tape the leading edge in place, mark the scallops, take it off to cut, then glue it in place. With the fabric finished the scallops do not show. They do tend to reduce any puckering of the fiberglass leading edge.

Have had a bunch of bad luck medical problems in the family, the least of which was me tearing my right rotator cuff & having it repaired... really slowed down the progress for a bit.

After hearing of the problems many people have had with the Ducati voltage regulators used by Rotax, I did a lot of research while not being able to do much else. I believe that some of the problems have been builder/pilot induced, but not all by any means. Anyway, I have a friend who travels to Holland regularly, and he has a relative there who could order what I have come to believe is one of the best alternatives (they are not exported to the USA, or sold by anyone here to my knowledge). The manufacturer, Silent Hektik, is in Germany. The unit has the exact same footprint and uses the same connector as the Ducati. It was marketed for the Rotax engines. It has a 14v, 37 amp rating (considerably higher than the Ducati), and is a real work of art, with solid machined aluminum case with considerably more heat sink area as well. The higher rating and better potential cooling are pluses. I found a test report by a guy in the US who had been able to obtain one, & he simulated operation while connected to a scope - the result showed superior performance, & he decided to install it on his CT. My buddy picked one up for me...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

So John, what is the availability/cost of these little beauties. I have been suspect of my Ducati Reg/Rec for a while (not always charging as expected).
    Are you able to get a batch for your "Team Kitfox Friends"?

Ralph

John, first off, hoping you are on the mend and family are well again.

Regarding reg/recs, I am on my 4th in 900 hours of operation. While I beleive my use of high power usage devices (Whelen strobes) during taxi times and other low RPMs times helped contribute to short longevity, I still think the Ducati regulator/rectifiers are not up to Rotax quality standards. I have since modified my electrical device usage and so far my latest regulator is still functioning.

I would be very interested in a more robust regulator as discussed in your post.

Ducati costs about $179.00.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Ralph - It was about $220 at the current exchange rate. That's pretty expensive, but maybe cheap enough if it doesn't have to be replaced. I don't know what the price is for the Ducati units now. Silent Hektik won't ship them to the US for some reason. As I said, I'm also not aware of anyone selling them here.

Steve - thank you.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

I am also interested in installing this regulator. The Ducati regulator failures are a known issue to Rotax. On the New IS motor they have dual regulators that eliminate the overload problem. I had a Ducati regulator fail last summer while pushing 13 AMPs at cruise. The transmit on your radio can increase your load by as much as 6 amps. I am on my 3 attempt at ordering one from Europe. If Unsuccessful I'll get in contact with you John.

Scott

John - I had rotator cuff surgery too and I really hope yours was successful and you recover soon. I was down for six months. Make sure you do the rehab. It's really important.

I too had a regulator go out and found no way to get one of those european units.

I found a replacement at Napa for about $100 bucks. Puts out 13.8 volts and handles up to 20 amps. It'll wire right in to the ducatti wiring harness with the exception of one wire that is not used. I've got about 40 hours on mine right now and all seems well.

Get well soon BUT don't lift too much too soon.

Regards
    Rodney

Rodney, please give us some more detail on the NAPA regulator.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos