Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Raven (kitfox 2/3 clone) restoration

Thumbs up Re: Raven (kitfox 2/3 clone) restoration

Thanks for the great feed back.
    I am already designing panel 2.0 version.
    I found after the first mock up i had a little more wiggle room than i thought.
    I hope to have a new version cut out this weekend and post a picture.
    It will have the 5 round instruments plus a small fuel gauge on the right,
    and the fly pad mount as close to that stack of instruments as possible.
    I have not determined if i will be installing a transponder yet, as i don't plan on flying in controlled air space.
    I do plan on setting aside panel space for one in case i want to add it later.
    I will be using a handheld portable radio which i will surface mount to panel beside flypad mount.
    Switches and circuit breakers will be under Flypad mount just left of center line of panel.
    I am looking for a supply for good quality single pole toggle switches around 1" tall to fit my panel.

Default Re: Raven (kitfox 2/3 clone) restoration

Well i just finished panel version 2.1 but right after setting it in the plane and sitting in plane looking at panel i realized i should have raised main flight instruments higher.
    I did more measurements and figure i can raise the 4 flight instruments 2", and i should be able to swap fuel gauge with engine monitor so it will sit a little higher.
    Oh well need to pick up another piece of hardboard to do version 2.2, hopefully the last one before i do it in aluminum.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just wondering if Kitfox 2,3,4 models with front header tank needs electric facet fuel pump? or is gravity feed and pulse pump all that is required for rotax 582.

thanks

To layout my panel, I made full size paper dollies. Went thru several iterations, then made a CAD model and emailed it to a water jet vendor and 50 bucks later had my panel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Knuckled62, don't forget to layout all the panel locations for your switches and Circuit breakers. They look small and insignificant on the front side, but in the back they are larger than you might think.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by knuckled62 View Post
    Just wondering if Kitfox 2,3,4 models with front header tank needs electric facet fuel pump? or is gravity feed and pulse pump all that is required for rotax 582.

thanks
    It seems the facet is sufficient. Some add a auxiliary electric pump as a backup. There are posts here about the subject and preferences.
    Lou
    KitFox II

Thumbs up Re: Raven (kitfox 2/3 clone) restoration

Quote Originally Posted by mr bill View Post
    To layout my panel, I made full size paper dollies. Went thru several iterations, then made a CAD model and emailed it to a water jet vendor and 50 bucks later had my panel.
    Hi Bill,
    I am looking at having mine water jetted also.
    How did you do the very professional lettering on your panel?

Don't overlook the possibility of having the panel laser cut. It is similar in price to water jet, but is much more accurate (within thousandths).
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I created a Solidworks file of the panel for all the lettering and sent it to a local silkscreen vendor. they made the silkscreen and applied the lettering to the panel. The cost for that was $145.