Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 8 of 120 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

I would have done the same thing if is was available at the time. I have the GTX-23 ES remote transponder and will need to get the GPS-20A plus the WAAS antenna to have ADS-B out. That adds up to an additional $1175.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Hello everyone, Im putting fabric on the horizontal and doing odd jobs while letting Oratex glue dry. Im cleaning the engine cowling of all that green release agent from the gel coat. Im using MEK as I did on the seat pan. It works but its expensive, and toxic so I wish I could use something else. Does anybody have any recommendations for getting this stuff off?
    Eddie

Eddie, did you try water? We use PVA as a release agent on our carbon and glass parts.
    If it is PVA which is green, it is water soluble. Try it under running water and a clean rag and see if it comes off easily. Hope that works.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

WHAT!? LOL no I haven't.
    Thanks, Ill try it tomorrow.

OK progress followers. I have recently been working on instrument panel and covering the Horizontal stabilizer. I haven't put the perimeter tape around the stabilizer because I believe I need to ask some questions regarding how it is put on without wrinkles at the compound curve. Happy with what I have done so far though. I have been able to heat the fabric without having glue on it and that formed the compound curve well. The tape has glue on it already from the factory and I am afraid to start trying to get it to lay down and have the adhesive set up before the tape is laying flat. Need some more experience with this and I need to order some three inch wide tape for the larger diameter leading edge before I proceed. I have flipped the airframe over and preparing to get started on covering the bottom. Just need to get some antenna mounts prepared first.
    Eddie
    Attached Images Attached Images

I highly recommend the bias ply tape for difficult compound curves. It goes around anything, seriously. You just stretch it a little at the curves and it will lay flat (don't stretch any more than you have to because it gets narrower the more you stretch it and that can become noticeable). I actually used regular tape on the horizontal (used bias tape on the elevator and vertical fin). Regular tape does work, but it takes quite a bit of heat forming before and after gluing down-patience. The EAA website has some very good videos on this process in their "Hints for Homebuilders" in the Tube & Fabric section.

Looking good Eddie!
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Ditto on Jim Ott's comments....Bias Tape conforms perfectly going around corners.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Guess I should report that it's Oratex. No bias tape.
    This is probably going to turn out much easier than I think but I'm making it out to be a much bigger deal as I did getting the fiberglass release agent off my engine cowling. Will speak with Lars today or tomorrow.
    Eddie

Hi Eddie,

It can be a bit of a challenge to do those curves. You need to get it glued down good on a straight section, and as you get to the curve it takes heat & stretching. You need to have the piece you're covering stable & secure, and probably have someone hold & steady it while you heat & pull. I found that concentrating the right amount of heat with the iron on the center area of the finish tape where it's contacting the tube initially, allows it to stretch in that area while the edges remain cooler. I would highly recommend that you build a mockup duplicating the curve out of conduit or other tubing of some type, and experiment/practice before you attempt the horizontal tail leading edge. It would be a shame to mess up your beautiful work. Obviously, the wider the finish tape, the harder it will be to make it conform around the curves. I messed it up on a few of them & ended up having to get "creative" with shaving off wrinkles with a razor blade and laying flat, patterned pieces over some areas. It came out looking OK, but it was frustrating.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks John
    I have used the shaving technique on the top of the rudder for the initial fabric.
    Thankfully the tape will cover that. Thats where I learned to shape the fabric before putting glue on it. Of course thats not an option with the tapes being pre glued. Thats what concerned me about this final perimeter tape. Thanks for the guidance.
    Eddie