Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: KF-3 with 912, 550 or less possible?

Default KF-3 with 912, 550 or less possible?

Gents,

Is it possible to build a KF-3 with a 912 and come in at 550lbs empty or less? A couple people I've asked say 'no'. That Tweety Bird is under 550, are there any others?

I have an opportunity to buy a model 3 kit at a crazy low price, but I must have a 500lb useful. I refuse to fly over the factory recommended gross, and I'm set on a 912. Or should I just wait for a model 4 and on.

Thank you.

-Joshua

Default Re: KF-3 with 912, 550 or less possible?

josh , depends what you want to do with the plane. if it were me , id wait for a model 4 1200 or speedster. lots of improvements on the model 4 that would be worth waiting for. my model 4 started out as a 1050 with some mods for a 1200 gross. when i got the a/w the empty weight was around 650lbs that was with the grove gear installed. over the years i know she's gained weight as i have done some more mods. the most notable being installing a 1200 rudder and making the vertical stab taller. a friend has a speedster thats empty around 675 but it has lost of stuff and gizmos on it.
    I'm sure there are many opinions but this is just my story
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

My mission at this point is local flights with at least 500lb useful so I can fly my father with me. I'm a low time Cessna 150 pilot, and I honestly don't know what my flying is going to evolve into. Maybe I'll like the bush, maybe I won't. I figured the Kitfox 4 and on may be the most versatile aircraft available that's reasonably affordable.

When I write that, and read it back to myself I realize the model IV or newer is better. Being a low time pilot I could use the ease of Grove gear and the yaw stability of the bigger vertical and differential ailerons. Speed for cross country and better useful for two big guys.

Here is the listing for the KF-3: https://reno.craigslist.org/spo/5910368867.htmlw

He says it's a 2 but it's actually a 3, S/N 1071. Missing most ribs and wing tips, no upgrades. Has a few model IV parts like ribs and flaperons.

I have just re-engined my Mk3 with a 912. It has Grove gear, and a light Kiev propeller. The panel is very basic (how I like it) and I consider it to be as light as it can be, with no uneccessary weight. I like the performance benefits of light airframes, and hate the thought of hauling pointless weight around. I've flown a heavy Mk3 912 and it was nowhere near as fun as a light one.

I re-weighed it last week after the engine swap. It came in at 580 lbs empty. If I didn't have the Grove gear it might have been 15 lbs less (565 maybe), but my personal opinion is that the benefits of the Grove easily outweigh any additional weight that it incurs.

Good luck. As suggested, you might be better finding a Mk 4 1200, although I appreciate that will cost more.

Edited to add: Before the Grove gear and the 912 went in, it had standard gear and a 582. I think it might have been the lightest Mk3 around at 481 lbs!

Image 1 is pre-upgrade weight. Image 2 is post-upgrade pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Monocock; 01-02-2017 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocock View Post
    I have just re-engined my Mk3 with a 912. It has Grove gear, and a light Kiev propeller. The panel is very basic (how I like it) and I consider it to be as light as it can be, with no uneccessary weight. I like the performance benefits of light airframes, and hate the thought of hauling pointless weight around. I've flown a heavy Mk3 912 and it was nowhere near as fun as a light one.

I re-weighed it last week after the engine swap. It came in at 580 lbs empty. If I didn't have the Grove gear it might have been 15 lbs less (565 maybe), but my personal opinion is that the benefits of the Grove easily outweigh any additional weight that it incurs.

Good luck. As suggested, you might be better finding a Mk 4 1200, although I appreciate that will cost more.

Edited to add: Before the Grove gear and the 912 went in, it had standard gear and a 582. I think it might have been the lightest Mk3 around at 481 lbs!

Image 1 is pre-upgrade weight. Image 2 is post-upgrade pic.
    WOW! Net gain of 85lbs from 582 to 912?!

Thank you very much, this is the most credible evidence yet considering your Fox was only 481 before.

Good looking bird, I love green.

-Joshua

Don't forget, he said that about 15 lbs of the 85 lbs weight gain is from the grove gear, not the 912. JImChuk