Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much to fix

Default Re: How much to fix

Propellerhead,

There is one item in the last photo which a person would be wise to correct for sure.

On the far right of your last photo, notice the ground leads attached to the bolt on the top of the strap supporting the ignition modules...the two leads coming from the ignition modules to provide a ground have a single point of failure.... (I am not sure what the other two leads are for which have the connectors).

If the strap suffers a fatigue break/crack anything grounded through this strap is no longer grounded and both modules quit working...this has happened and the occurences have been documented on this list.

The Rotax original configuration has the two module grounds affixed to the engine with separate screws.

I believe the reason for the strap, which I don't think is a Rotax part, was to accomodate the modified placement of parts including the manifolds/carbs on opposite sided of the engine.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive
    St Paul, mn

Thanks for the tip Dave. Notice that the ignition module support right next to it is a slightly different color.. That's because that one already broke and I replaced the original aluminum with stainless. If it had been the one with the ground wires then I might have been another statistic! I was thinking about remounting the ignition module on the unused air box mount like on this airplane:

This whole experience has been so productive that I think I will post more pictures just to see what other things people notice. It could be like a community improvement project for my airplane :-)

I personally like that idea. Only thing I will add from my experience is to make sure all the lead wires are snuggly attached to preclude vibration.
    I had the unlucky oppertunity of having a very rough running engine that was caused by the ignition modual wires not being tied down good and the wire itself broke within its shielding. Hard to diagnose and very frustrating.

If the only goal is to sell; my answer to the original question would be to fix the minimum for safe flight.

I would expect a flying airplane to bring more money than a "project".

Anything extra you do is likely time and money spent without significant return.

Maxwell
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)

Im with maxwell. I bought my bird for about 25k an spent significant money on it over the past 4 years to bring it up to speed. Its now a nice looking bird and joy to fly, but If I didn't like working on it, it would be a project. today, its pretty pretty, and I'm a little smarter, older.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice! Mine is still pretty too.. Just needs a little TLC which I'm anxious to provide. I'm really pumped now about getting to it. Picked up some Gates Barricade hose last night. Waiting now for some new firesleeve (old ones were rarry) and a number of other bits. Someone asked for pictures:

Thats a nice bird! It won't take much to make it a seller. Cosmetically she looks as good as most of the fleet. The few things you need to address in your post will go quickly. Good luck.

Thanks. I'm already kinda hoping she doesn't sell too fast :-). I promised my wife I'd trade her for a sailboat but we didn't talk about time frame. I've always wanted to fly to the Bahamas and now we're only 100 miles away from Grand Bahamas. Anyone want to come?