Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: S7 options - can't find answers

Default Re: S7 options - can't find answers

Great decision Tim! Now the excitement of the big box arriving! you wont regret it and the nice part is that you stagger the purchase of the other parts. Best to leave the avionics and engine as long as possible anyway as things are developing rapidly in those areas. looking forward to pics of the build! Where are you going to build it Tim?

cheers

Ross
    Mt Beauty
    OZ

That's great news Tim. Best of luck with the build and I hope you enjoy every part of that process. When complete, you'll have the airplane that you and most everyone else dreams about flying.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

I am excited. I will be going to Copperstate to take a ride in a kitfox. This is my third build and I have a giant 48ft hangar and an empty 2 car garage that I will use for build space. I will build it here in Lake Tahoe. I still have my Zenith 601 with a Jab 3300 and recently sold my Bakeng Deuce with a Rotec radial. (I split them and got more money).

I will probably go Dynon again and have decided on the UL350 engine but yes, I will wait on both for a few months.

The weather will turn nasty soon but I've been there before LOL. I find it peaceful to hide out in my hangar during a snow storm.

I am excited. I will be going to Copperstate to take a ride in a kitfox.
    You can get a ride in a SS7 if you go to Copperstate? I'm in. Never had a ride in one. I'm gonna be there for sure. I'll see all you "big plane" guys there.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

With your experience and facilities I imagine progress will be quick Tim! By the way, do you know that the factory that makes the Jab 3300 has released their own version of that engine - the Camit 3300 - with a whole host of mods that address the issues that arisen with Jabs over the years. I only mention this as it is a considerable prices point difference between that and the Rotax.
    912is and UL Power 350is.

Anyway, have fun and looking forward to seeing pic of progress.

Ross
    Mt Beauty
    OZ

Look forward to meeting you Tim at CopperState. Hopefully our weather will be nice for the event. Usually is.

Sounds like you have the needed space to build and then some.

And SkySteve- glad to hear you'll be attending.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I personally wouldn't build one without the false ribs or the speedster tail. The speedster tail will give the tail feathers more authority for landing. The false ribs add to the airfoil and may effect the stall speed.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I was promised a ride from the factory. Maybe the offer is only good for new customers

I knew about the Camit deal and I really like my Jabiru with the Rotec carb. The issue is my location. I take off at 6500 ft, climb to 9500 ft to leave the lake, and then literally drop to sea level if I go West. All that can happen in 30 minutes. It's takes a lot of mixture attention and care to avoid carb ice. I want to try a FADEC engine this time. I just can't wrap my head around the Rotax. The extra HP with the UL350 will be welcomed at my altitude.

I'm looking forward to checking out the vendors and planes at the show.

I was promised a ride from the factory. Maybe the offer is only good for new customers
    Tim, you could be right about that but I'm coming anyway. Maybe someone will take pity on the pitifull.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Wow! That's an interesting departure procedure Tim! I am interested in your choice of the UL as I am approaching decision time myself about an engine and have been reading other posts here about the Rotax and Ul engines. Hope you don't mind me asking but am interested to know if you considered just the horsepower or also considered the torque of the engines for your purpose?? There appears to be a lot of discussion about the available HP at 'practical' rpm and the experience of old timers on this site about the Kitfoxes liking torque to drive big props - but I am no expert on this and just learning my way into it!

cheers

ross
    Mt Beauty
    OZ