Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Ads-b

Default Ads-b

So I started with a Garmin GDL-39 connected to a 696 which gives me free weather, TFRs and occasionally traffic. As many of you may know if you have just an ADS-B receiver you will only get traffic if someone else pings the system. Other planes make some of my passengers anxious (swmbo) so I bit the bullet and installed a Navworx unit. I also upgraded from a GTX 320 to the 327 (anybody looking for a cheap transponder?). I have been up for one flight and everything seems to work. I will confess it is kinda nice seeing all the other planes (those with transponders) on my GPS display.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Default Re: Ads-b

Dorsal, Is this the box that's not certified today but the vendor promises a free upgrade in the future? Not sure I've got my vendors straight. If it's giving you all the traffic now, you're golden.

Also, did you need to go with the GTX-327 so if you change the squawk on the transponder, it will update the adsb box too?
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Default Re: Ads-b

You can get both certified and not (with upgrade later). Yes the 327 allows for RS232 altitude and control, you can also pick that up from the transponder antenna cable but that did not work as well for me. Interestingly I still get all the traffic and weather from the GDL-39, this unit just keeps the system active.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive