Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 912 oil tank line fittings

Default 912 oil tank line fittings

has anyone had to deal with changing out the fitting on the oil tank to a AN fitting? I know that the thread pitch is 18x1.5mm as assembled, problem is that the 90 degree fitting sits to high and my cowling doesn't fit. So I need a low profile fitting. Cant find a metric fitting so I need to change to a AN fitting. Any suggestions

Default Re: 912 oil tank line fittings

I had the same problem, made a hole in the top cowling for it.
    Closed the hole by laying up some epoxy onto a glassmat into one of my wife's breakfast-bowls: voila!
    Once painted you'll never know it wasn't there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Doug,
    I had the same problem and dropped the tank with a welder. He reworked the filler neck and one hose attach fitting to get the necessary clearance. If I had to do it again it seems like the bump in the cowl would be a better and more DIY solution. Mr Bill had his done at Dawley Aviation (I think) and reduced the height of the oil tank by cutting 1/2" or so from the tank then re-welding a seam near the bottom. Maybe Mr Bill would offer a photo?????????

This is how my tank turned out.

I went with Bill's suggestion and went to Dawley Aviation also... Love their work, and fast turn around time! Very reasonable cost.

This should work for you also. We have the smooth cowl on the Model IV's so we have even less room to deal with; sticking the oil tank into a small space in between cross members on the firewall bulkhead. .
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL