Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kraus SS7 Radial Build

Default Re: Kraus SS7 Radial Build

Nicely done sir!!

Rick

There is no sexyer Kitfox, then one with a Radial in front........ well Done very nice plane that you accomplish.
    Eric Therrien
    Nicolet, Qc. Ca.
    In preparation.

So I realized I'm a few months behind on posting here..... Here is my first flight video from a few months ago:

https://youtu.be/ZrkqJClWAp8

I now have the 40 hours flown off and the cowling finished up just in time for Oshkosh.

Hope to see many of you there!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Mike Kraus
    RV-4 built and sold :-(
    RV-10 built and flying
    KitFox SS7 built and flying and now on amphib floats!

Congrats Mike!!

You should be very proud of that Kitfox.
    As I recall early Kitfox history, they all were originally meant to host a radial engine up front.
    Happy to see more of them reaching airworthiness status. The Rotec is quite an engine.
    Enjoy the extra attention your Kitfox will attract. You've earned it. Now, more videos please.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Can't beat the sound of round. Your airplane will be a crowd puller, no doubt about it. Congrats on a very nice job.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Hi Mike
    My brother and I are building a kitfox 5 and are looking very hard at the Rotec.
    The cool and wow factor are hard to pass up.
    Earlier in this thread CG was mentioned. Did you need to mount the battery in the tail?
    We are at the point that we would need to look at installing a battery box in the tail now.
    Also you mentioned adding cabin heat. Have you or others come up with a solution for this? We're from Wisconsin.
    And oh yeah, we hope ours turns out even half as good as yours!
    HOLY WOW!!

Joe

Hoe,

the owners of the Rotec engine in Australia have a Kitfox themselves. Paul Cherkinoff - it would be good to chat with them too.

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Hi Joe,
    Thanks for the kind words. I have a SS7 and I mounted the battery in the fuselage just behind the baggage area. Yea, the further back the better. I also bought an Alaskan Bush tailwheel which is beefier and helped with the cg. In addition, I mounted the ELT as far back as possible as well as the Dynon Transponder, ADSB module, and radio module.

I still do not have a solution for heat, but once I get around to it I plan to make a muff to go around the collector ring.

Let me know if you have any further questions. Sorry for the delay in responding.
    -Mike Kraus
    RV-4 built and sold :-(
    RV-10 built and flying
    KitFox SS7 built and flying and now on amphib floats!

Hi to all you radial builders.

I am only ever going be a Sport Pilot and need to license my Kitfox 5 that I am building as a LSA and I am not a small person. So I want to keep my build as lite as possible, but I REALLY want the Rotec radial. Is it possible to use this engine and keep the final weight under 850 Lbs. I would love to here from some of you as to what your final weights came to. Please feel free to IM me if you to keep that info private.
    Hope to hear from some of you.
    Thanks,

Joe

I hope your not going to be disappointed. I really wanted to build with the Rotec but the factory informed me that Rotec motors are the heaviest motor they have installed. Im small, 140#, I was told I would be needing to fly alone if I filled the tanks. And if you find out here that its doable, I will be the one who is disappointed. Im interested in the numbers as well. I may have to build another one cuz this plane with a Rotec is absolutely awesome. Hell, I may just have to fly my second KF alone. LOL
    Eddie