Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: History of Kitfoxen?

Default History of Kitfoxen?

Hi Everybody!

Has anyone written a thorough history of all the Kitfox models, the evolution from one to the next, and the decisions, people and companies around these birds? I glean a lot of little pieces from blog and forum posts, facebook posts (Kitfox Owners Group), classified ads, and word of mouth, but I haven't yet seen this "story" in one place. For new people. Maybe a long blog post somewhere?

Default Re: History of Kitfoxen?

Kitfox sell a book called "Kitfox Flying Handbook" which answers pretty much all these questions.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I have the handbook, and would buy it again. That being said, my opinion is that it is very 'general' when discussing the evolution of the line. Don't get me wrong, it's worth reading ten or twelve times, and I have. It gives you just enough detail to get a person asking the specific questions that pertain to them and their own mission(s).

If there is a better option out there in print, I certainly have not heard mention of it.

Cool. Thanks guys. So is that a paper book only? I guess PDFs or eBooks are less secure.

Hey, I found this, which I found super interesting because it has dates and details on flying characteristics:

http://kitfox.lazair.com/skystar/Aircraft_History.htm

Funny how that info in the link never makes mention of how the Kitfox 1 was a copy of the Avid A model designed by Dean Wilson. Sorry if I ruffle any feathers, but I like to give credit where credit is due, and Dean's design changed this section of the light kit plane market. Avid was first with many who copied it later. JImChuk

Quote Originally Posted by scarroll View Post
    Hi Everybody!

Has anyone written a thorough history of all the Kitfox models, the evolution from one to the next, and the decisions, people and companies around these birds?
    I too would like to see a "thorough" history that goes beyond the factory produced marketing versions we have. A reminder of the names of the people I dealt with back in the Denney days would be welcome as would production figures and personnel data - as shortly after I purchased my kit, Skystar had two full time engineers working there - sort of a real history in every sense. I read the info in the link just posted and find some errors relating to my personal experience. Example - the dates of the Skystar acquisition and the photos of the various models. My first Model IV was ordered from Denney and delivered by Skystar. Order date unknown, but delivery date by Skystar was March 1993. I know there was not a nine month lead time as production figures talked about then suggested an average of 40 shipments a month up to an occasional 90. Then the picture of the new Series 5 shown in the model history section is actually a photo of my completed IV-1200 taken in front of my home. I also agree wholeheartedly with Jim that the whole story needs to be told. A buddy and I were sort of in the mix during the time shortly before the Skystar bankruptcy through the assets auction. Lots went on that could be part of a very interesting story.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

If enough detail was included, it would be a good read.

Has anyone ever heard where the actual name "Kitfox" came from?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos