Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 35 of 66 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Thread: First, Build a Shed

Default Re: First, Build a Shed

Just celebrated the second year anniversary of the build. At the start I kept a detailed log of hours worked and tasks completed. Those details led to such thoughts as:

• Estimating 2000 hours for the build, 350 hours worked, 18% complete
    • Working an average of x hours per week, the project will be completed Fall '18 - probably Sept 17 at 3pm.
    I didn't go so far as to draw a Gantt chart but the project management background was definitely in full gear. A few months in, I intentionally stopped keeping the detailed log and went from "working" to build a plane to simply enjoying the project. The progress undoubtedly slowed down but the fun factor went up.

At this point the plane is covered, sitting on the gear, instruments and wiring complete, and the Firewall Forward manual is opened to page one.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Now that I am retired, projects no longer have schedules.

Good to hear your getting onto the engine. If I don't get my butt out there and get this wiring done you will have closed that 6 month gap I had on you when you got your kit. AS&S should have my harnesses done end of next week if all goes as planned. They are working in their brand new 3000sq ft avionics shop so I suppose there is a chance they will be late with the harness. Hopefully my Tech Counselor will stop by and answer some (a lot of) questions. Im currently anticipating an August or Sept completion. Keep it up. The engine is fun to install. It will come together fast.
    Eddie
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Work continues on the hanger. Actually, the crew is building two hangers so work stops and starts through the various phases. The concrete pour was a big event. One of the area dogs, that seems to be a stray but looks pretty well fed, ran across the first section just as it was being smoothed. Easy to repair and, having learned his lesson, he didn't repeat the stunt. Rented a crane from an area sign company and the trusses went up in day. The purlins went across the top to straighten every thing up and the FoldTight doors were delivered in late this afternoon. The FoldTight pallet looks large because there are 26 panels for the two hanger.

On the plane, I think all of the finishing tape has finally be completed - but I've thought than before only to notice a missing piece. The brake lines are installed. I'm not wild about the pulleys, springs and tubing passing through a tight space but pictures show others have done the same routing with no reported issues.

Finally, the engine was delivered this week. Popped the top off the box but haven't unwrapped anything. Firewall and cowling starts the next phase.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

FoldTite doors installed and working. It took a full day to hang the track and door panels and get everything working smoothly. Involved a couple of spry workers with ladders, a friend who is an architect, and another with a civil engineering background. Lots of head scratching, and I'll just say the clarity of the Kitfox manual has us all very, very spoiled!

Still need door skins, exterior needs final trim, a plumber has to make the septic and water hookups, and I continue to have faith the electrician will eventually install a breaker panel. I'll hang the interior lights and install work room windows. Then drag an old refrigerator into the workroom along with a small room A/C. At that point I'll hand the door keys over to a friend who needs a place to park his Bonanza for a couple of months, and get back to building the Kitfox.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Green with envy. Great home for the new airplane. Congrats.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Installed the cockpit side of the heater. It took longer than it should have to figure out the wiring for the fans and the High/Off/Low switch. Eventually took a closer look at the back of switch, played a bit with a VOM, and things cleared up. Thought someone might find a description of the wiring useful.

I used the pretty, round High/Low/Off switch available in a collection of panel switches from Kitfox. There is a proper electrical name for this type of switch, involving poles and throws and the like. Being a software guy, I would probably embarrass myself trying to get the terminology right so I'll just describe it as two switches, flipped in unison, with three terminals. The terminals for the two switches are divided by a vertical line in the drawing. A +12 volt supply from a circuit breaker comes to the middle terminal of both switches. When the switch is in the "Low" position, the top two terminals have power. When the switch is in the "High" position, it's the bottom two terminals. In "Off" none of the four output terminals have power.

I used 2-strand wire to run power to Fan 1 & Fan 2. With a bit of trimming, two wires fit in a crimped spade terminal to make the jumpers. Both fans use a common wire to the ground bus.

Not a difficult job once I figured out how the switch worked.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

The switch is a DPDT. Double pole(two separate hot sides) and double throw (the switch has two hot positions.)

I also used these switches on my landing light/wig wag, as well as nav/navstrobe
    Last edited by Esser; 07-21-2018 at 08:40 AM.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Thanks Josh. I hoped someone would drop by with the correct term.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Hangers must be closely related to home builts - the last 10% takes 90% of the time. The hanger is basically finished, except for the electrician installing the correct meter base, the framer installing the bathroom door so it opens fully rather than hitting the newly installed toilet, the plumber returning to actually install a cap in the inspection drain. That said, I'm finally back to working on the Kitfox.

The local FBO filled up my quart Mason jar from his supply of brake fluid and, armed with a $5 Harbor Freight, old fashioned, thumb powered oil can, my wife and I started to bleed the brakes. Three days later the project was completed!

Phase 1 - I wanted to bleed the brakes right after installing the firewall and engine mount. Needed the firewall since the reservoir is mounted on the engine side with the 912iS. Didn't want to have things too cluttered should one of the fittings leak. Pitot tubing is just the right size to connect the pump to the calipers, we have a nice collection of old newspapers and paper towels, time to pump. Loosen the bleed valve, start pumping, and watch pink break fluid flow up the line. Pump, pump, pump. The giant bubble of air isn't moving. Where's all of the brake fluid going? Seems to be a lot of fluid puddling under my elbow and my arm is wet.

Switched to the other caliper with the same results. Took a couple of hours to figured out the parking brake was the common element between the two calipers. It was only loosely mounted to the console and easily freed. While I confidently pumped, my wife rotated the parking brake lever in 45 degree increments. Fluid still would not flow up the tubing. Gave up and called John McBean. John took just a couple of minutes to suggest the parking brake problem and only a few more to guess the pedals were lightly applying brakes because the rudder cables were slack. A broom stick pulled the pedals back and we decided to start again the next day.

Phase 2. Laying on the floor, pumping like mad, and watching pink brake fluid flow up the lines. Everything was working smoothly until the $5 Harbor Freight oil pump exploded and all of the brake fluid drained down and out onto the floor before I could figure out why things were quickly getting wet.

Phase 3. Back from Harbor Freight with a new oil can - this time taken apart and upgraded with a lock nut. I just need 30 minutes from this tool for Pete's sake. Pump, pump, pump. Brake fluid flowed, tiny bubbles moved, brake pedals created a few new bubbles and they went away, and in less than an hour the brakes were bled. Threw the second oil can in the trash with it's ne're-do-well sibling.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X