Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many have a BRS ?

Default Re: How many have a BRS ?

I have a BRS 1350HS in my KF7
    Kitfox 7-Flying
    ABW 26", T3, ABW 3200 Tailwheel
    Rotax 912ULS, Warp Drive Taper

Who supplied the BRS, BRS or Kitfox. Where is the unit mounted and where does the bridle hook up at? Does the ballistic rocket go out the side or somehow thru the top?

I will post some photos soon. we are moving tomorrow. to an Airstrip so ill get them up soon. I used the factory location, call BRS for mounting config. but no support from factory. I built my own mount and routed per plan. I plan to modify the routing later this year.
    Kitfox 7-Flying
    ABW 26", T3, ABW 3200 Tailwheel
    Rotax 912ULS, Warp Drive Taper

Posting to perhaps get this thread active again, and to ask PNWJARED, please post your pictures.

Thanks.

I have considered the BRS. I question why one would use this in a two place airplane considering the cost and outcome of deploying it. I may be wrong when it comes to welded tube frame aircraft but It is my understanding that once deployed you are sacrificing the aircraft with the aim of saving the occupants lives. Aerobatic aircraft typically utilize personal parachutes that double as the occupants seat cushion. For half the price of a BRS in a Kitfox and no installation problems I can outfit pilot and passenger with personal parachutes. Granted, I will be strapped with a repack on two chutes every 6 months. I don't know what the BRS maintenance entails.
    Eddie
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

That's a really good point Eddie. If the comfort was comparable to the seat cushion, and egress was easy (doubtful with the stick), then I would consider wearing a parachute for sure.

Can anyone comment on what it is like wearing a chute while flying?

Evan.

I think my Kitfox seat cushions are way more comfy than a parachute. I have only worn a parachute for one hour at a time. I can't recall ever feeling uncomfortable. "Cuz I was inverted". Im short, I could use my Kitfox bottom cushion and purchase a parachute that packs it all in on the back. There are versions with it packed 50/50 bottom/back or all in the bottom. I may borrow my buddies high performance sky diving parachute for initial test flights and just remove the back cushion from my plane. Fortunately his chute is appropriate for my weight. Being that I am smaller, I won't have difficulty rolling out the door. There is a lot to consider in this arena. Parachutes like these may not be designed to fly hours on end in comfort. Someone else will have to chime in.
    Eddie
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I borrowed a friends chute for flight testing. I removed the back cushion and as I recall the comfort was reasonable.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Quote Originally Posted by Skybolt View Post
    I know of two guys that had the BRS system installed.
    Good friend took off on first flight stalled at end of runway. Wing droped went into a spin. Did not employ his BRS.
    It did not help him.

One other guy went flying in his ultra light. Had trouble with a wing, used his BRS and landed safely.

If you got it; use it.
    Two guys had BRS and both got into situations requiring their usage? Interesting.

I have a couple questions, if I may...

1. What is the minimum altitude for deployment of a BRS in a Kitfox or Avid?

2. What is the all-in weight penalty after installation?