Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: John's Build

Default Re: John's Build

John,

I particulary like your treatment/fit/finish around the lift strut attach points

Keep this stuff up and next thing you know you will have to become a test pilot soon!

Dave S

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Z View Post
    Where does the sheet metal parts fit? Excellent workmanship!
    Paul, that is the fabric backing plate that goes around the front lift strut fitting. Those are pictures of the one for the other wing, as I had already covered the wing in the pictures. That is what is forming the little relief pocket to give extra clearance for the bolt/nut assembly. Overkill, but it doesn't add any real weight.

I appreciate all the nice comments. Ross - the pictures make it look better than it is. They don't show all the lumps, bumps, & beginner mistakes. Believe me, your beautiful bird would hold it's own in any comparison.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I sure like the look of the Oratex straight edged tapes - very clean looking vs pinked edges!

Looking good John!

John, how do the Oratex finish tapes lay over the bumpy rib stitching? From the photo it looks quite good.

I originally decided on the straight edge tape because it seemed to be a better choice since there wasn't going to be paint to hold down all the little pointy edges. It just seemed better structurally. It's an unconventional look, but it grew on me... I like it too. Thanks!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    John, how do the Oratex finish tapes lay over the bumpy rib stitching? From the photo it looks quite good.
    It does conform nicely around lacing, ridges, rivets, etc. I was a little concerned about adhesion around the waxed lacing cord, and after some testing, I just gave the area a quick wipe with some enamel reducer and made sure to remove any little lumps of wax by the holes, then applied adhesive. It seems to be sticking well. It shrinks/stretches/molds pretty well around protrusions. As you said, it shows in the photos.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

Since I receive questions about my project quite often, & haven't posted a report in a long while, I wanted folks to know that I'm still here & that it has gone very well... I just haven't done much in many, many weeks. My wife has had some health problems, and a few other issues have kept me from it. As far as the Oratex goes, I finished the wings, tail feathers, & did the fuselage belly skin before stopping. I hope to be able to start on it again and finish the fuselage any time now - I'll post more pictures & a report when I do. Then I'll order an engine and prop from Kitfox. I'm going to use a 912 ULS, and Whirlwind is at the top of my list at this time.
    I'm planning on being at OSH with my T-18 again this year (for the 19th time with the Thorp).
    Last edited by jrevens; 05-22-2015 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Added thought
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

Well, I finally was able to get back with it, and reached a milestone last week - covering complete. I also ordered my engine (912ULS) & Whirlwind Prop & spinner from John & Deb. Here are a few pictures of the fuselage covered (no trim stripe yet)-
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

John, your plane is beautiful. Could you tell me what you used around the door frame, for that protective edge? Ken

John,

What I like about your build....and some questions

1) I know you have more wires to string; however, everything you have installed is straight, neat and well secured.

2) I do like the current header tank with the fuel fitting in the front/center.....makes it easier to route and avoid the "busy" area in the center of the fuse - also - in my opinion, the side exit on earlier header tanks was more prone to transmitting vibration to the aluminum line fitting where vibration = fatigue wear.

3) Covering is nice - straight & neat & tape edges well laid down. Fit & finish is nice.Last year when I visited the poly fiber dealer I got my covering materials from, the first thing he did was inspect the edges of my tapes - for the record, passed - (whew!)

4) Like the rudder cable fairings - did you make them? I found that the commercial ones out there were kind of clunky/oversized and stuck out way more than necesary apparently to accomodate a variety of installation configurations......I ended up making some - didn't like the commercial ones.

5) I see some kind of deal behind the header tank quick drain on the bottom....what's that?

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive
    St Paul, MN

Quote Originally Posted by ken nougaret View Post
    John, your plane is beautiful. Could you tell me what you used around the door frame, for that protective edge? Ken
    Thank you Ken!

I bent up some stainless steel strips, similar to what the factory does. They press on nice & tight, but I also bonded them with a bead of Hysol. I have a small sheet metal brake, & I bent them out of .015" thick 1" wide strips (purchased from McMaster-Carr) so they have a 1/4" leg on both sides.
    Last edited by jrevens; 09-05-2015 at 10:10 AM.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime