Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: John's Build

Default Re: John's Build

I find this interesting. It appears that John's mass balance weights fit significantly better than Pauls and that Pauls don't all fit the same. My guess is that the tooling is getting a bit long in the tooth - as they say.

I am attaching a photo of the 1992 version of the mass balance weight fit on my new Model IV and another of a weight I made after SKystar went bankrupt when there was some demand for some of the then unavailable parts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Actually 2 different flaperons... Tooling was never originally adapted... Here's what they are like today.. The Older style flaperon weights fit tight as well.
    These weights were simply place on the flaperon...
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

I thought I might start posting some pictures of the project again. I got sidetracked with other things in my life for awhile, so the covering with Oratex got put on hold. However, I'm back on it again. I posted some pictures on the "Oratex Revisited" thread of my rudder. Here are a few of the elevator...
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

John, what happened to the Homebuilt digital iron? I see you have a fancy new square iron. I did a search and found the Tognar Iron. Heck it was only $129, looks pretty good, especially for the $ and a lot less time then building the digital iron.

http://www.tognar.com/toko-t14-digital-wax-iron-120v/
    Last edited by DesertFox4; 04-05-2019 at 09:19 PM.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Paul,
    I originally looked at the Toko & saw that it went to a maximum of 320 deg. F. (160 C.) I thought I wanted the capability to go to a full 350 deg., so I got a wild hair & made my own. It turns out that the T-14 is recommended by Oratex, & 320 is plenty. The only thing I wish either one of them had is a Teflon coated base.
    I gave the iron to a friend before I bought the Toko, knowing I could always build another if I wanted to. And people wonder why it's taking so long to build my Kitfox!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

With the recent posts about running the pitot lines in the wing, I thought I'd post some pictures of how I did it. I've relocated the pitot tube on my wing, bringing it closer to the fuselage where it's protected between the wing & the lift struts. I know that others have done this successfully, and I think that it is far enough away from the propeller arc, somewhat based on my experience with my T-18 where I located a similar mast even closer to the fuselage. I'm using a combination pitot/static unit that I made. I ran the tubes in the groove/channel between the tank & rear spar.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

Here are a few more pictures of the Oratex covering. I'm very slow, but almost through with one wing also. Just started working pretty steady on it again, so the wings should be done fairly soon. I'll post some pictures of those later.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

John,

Nice work on the pitot tube and fabric! I Like it.

I particularily like the re-location of the pitot tube - That is one thing I am paranoid of with our bird - the pitot tube being out where people can easily run into it. I have resorted to stringing some "Crime scene tape" between the PT & some stakes in the ground when parking where people, particularily non pilots, are wandering around aimlessly....

Looks like you have worked in your static port next to the pitot.

On another question for the group - has anyone drilled a moisture bleed hole at the bottom of the elbow of the pitot tube? If so, how has that worked out?

Sincerely,

Dave S

Dave, I didn't drill them myself, but my Dynon pitot tube/AOA assembly has very small drain holes located near the elbow in both the pitot and AOA tube. I think as long as they are much smaller than the tube opening there should be no problem.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

John,
    It appears that you do beautiful work. I am building a SS 7 too and planning on Oratex covering. Is you entire plane going to be white, or will you be adding and color accents or stripes? I'm way behind you, so this is just dreaming. Keep sending those pictures.
    Thanks,
    Joe