Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: engine mount rust

Default engine mount rust

Guys, I noticed the other day on my Avid I had some slight surface rust on the engine mount in the welded angled portions of the mount. THere is really no way to grind/sand etc the area due to the dips and irregular parts of the weld not to mention the angle area. I am after suggestions to stop this. Petroleum jelly? rust converter primer? My concern with the jelly is being able to get it all off once it works. If it does not all come off it will rust again and sooner. I am leaning toward a rust converter primer and was wondering if there is a brand that is better than another?
    Thanks Mark

Default Re: engine mount rust

Are you certain that a tiny wire brush on a dremel tool wouldn't be small enough to reach those recesses?
    Eddie

I think it will get about 80% of it but not sure it will get 100% so was thinking a liquid or spray would get all of it.

Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Mark,

Media blasting/sand blasting/or bead blasting then priming and painting is just about the best way to clean up something like this....but....you have to separate the mount from everything else in order to get it done and it is a big project.

Any kind of chemical process on an assembled part probably is not the best because of the potential for corrosion in unseen places if the material wicks into seams or under other components. Your hesitancy concerning the petrol jelly on an assembled part is well founded.

If the corrosion/rust is really minimal - might be just as well to hand brush a protective coating/paint in the affected area to arrest further corrosion & keep it under a watchful eye till some time when a person would completely remove the part for blasting/complete refinishing such as at the time of an engine overhaul/replacement.

A temporary fix may be all you need if there is no structural damage. Some of the oil based rust blocking paints work pretty well even without grinding or sanding the surface.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN