Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Picking a prop

Default Picking a prop

Hi all,
    I put a post on the props forum, but not much action over there. I have a model IV, 582, C gearbox. Old prop was a three blade woody. Looking for a composite prop, but confused by too many choices. Anyone have some input?

Default Re: Picking a prop

The IVO prop is the easiest to adjust and a very smooth prop in a three blade configuration. I have run IVOs for almost 10 years and have always been happy. The Warp drive in a three blade configuration can give better performance and is tougher but might not be as smooth. Still a great prop.
    My 2 cents
    Those are the only props I have experience with.
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

I was leaning toward the IVO but it's about the most expensive out there too.

Beery
    We should meet up. I am in Carmel and my model 5 project is at KUMP.
    Always looking for local Kitfox owners to share ideas with.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Quote Originally Posted by beeryboats View Post
    I was leaning toward the IVO but it's about the most expensive out there too.
    The IVO ultralight is $660 US
    The Warp is $865 for the three blade.
    These are internet prices
    I have used the IVO ultralight prop on my 582 C box for 6 or 7 years and it has worked well.
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

Berry, Not sure where you are getting your prices, but where I've looked the IVOs are considerably less than the Warp Drive and the Power fin. I do know there is a 2 month minimum wait on the IVOs. I ordered an IVO a month ago, and it's still a month out. I've been playing with different props lately on a Kitfox, 582 B box. 2 blade Warp drive 70" taper tip gives better performance than 64" and a 68" three blade IVO props. The IVOs were a good bit smoother than the Warp drive though. I've got a 3 blade Warp drive 70" taper tip that I'm not using. I bought 3 new blades from a guy a few years ago, and I had a 3 blade hub. The blades have the leading edge protection. Not sure if I want to sell it though. What is your gear ratio in the C box? Jim Chuk

Quote Originally Posted by jmodguy View Post
    Beery
    We should meet up. I am in Carmel and my model 5 project is at KUMP.
    Always looking for local Kitfox owners to share ideas with.
    Yes! Let's get together. I've been looking for another owner locally. Shoot me a PM with your info.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    The IVO ultralight is $660 US
    The Warp is $865 for the three blade.
    These are internet prices
    I have used the IVO ultralight prop on my 582 C box for 6 or 7 years and it has worked well.
    I was looking at the next step up from the ultralight prop. I think it was about $1000.00.

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    Berry, Not sure where you are getting your prices, but where I've looked the IVOs are considerably less than the Warp Drive and the Power fin. I do know there is a 2 month minimum wait on the IVOs. I ordered an IVO a month ago, and it's still a month out. I've been playing with different props lately on a Kitfox, 582 B box. 2 blade Warp drive 70" taper tip gives better performance than 64" and a 68" three blade IVO props. The IVOs were a good bit smoother than the Warp drive though. I've got a 3 blade Warp drive 70" taper tip that I'm not using. I bought 3 new blades from a guy a few years ago, and I had a 3 blade hub. The blades have the leading edge protection. Not sure if I want to sell it though. What is your gear ratio in the C box? Jim Chuk
    Ratio? Good question. I'll have to take a look at the books. And as I said on an earlier response, I was looking at the next step up from the ultralight prop form IVO. About $1000.00.

I doubt that you need to go with the medium prop. The ultralight model works fine on 912s and they have a good bit more power than the 582. Jim Chuk