Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Drivers license - Third Class Medical Proposal

Default Drivers license - Third Class Medical Proposal

Since the FAA has sat on their butts hoping this would go away, some courageous lawmakers have proposed a new law basically eliminating the third class medical for VFR.

AOPA article:

Driver's license medical for six-seat aircraft?

After nearly two years of FAA inaction on the AOPA/EAA third-class medical petition, Congress has taken matters into its own hands, offering up legislation that would vastly expand the number of pilots who could fly without going through the expensive and time-consuming third-class medical certification process. Reps. Todd Rokita (R-Ind.), a member of the House General Aviation Caucus, and GA Caucus Co-Chair Sam Graves (R-Mo.) on Dec. 11 introduced the General Aviation Pilot Protection Act. The legislation would dramatically expand the parameters for flying under the driver's license medical standard. Rokita and Graves are both AOPA members and active pilots.

"We have waited far too long for the FAA to expand the third-class medical exemption to more pilots and more aircraft," said AOPA President Mark Baker. "Congressmen Rokita and Graves stepped forward to take decisive action in the best interests of general aviation when the FAA refused to act. We appreciate their outstanding leadership on this issue and look forward to seeing this bill move forward."

The General Aviation Pilot Protection Act would allow pilots to use the driver's license medical standard for noncommercial VFR flights in aircraft weighing up to 6,000 pounds with no more than six seats. That includes virtually all single-engine airplanes with six or fewer seats, including Beech Bonanzas, as well as many light twins like the Piper Aztec, Beech Baron 55 and 58, and Cessna 310. By way of comparison, most large SUVs on the roads today weigh more than 6,000 pounds and can carry six to seven passengers, making them larger than the aircraft that would be operated with proof of a valid driver's license under this new bill.

Pilots would be allowed to carry up to five passengers, fly at altitudes below 14,000 feet msl, and fly no faster than 250 knots. The act also would require the FAA to report on the safety consequences of the new rule after five years.

"As a pilot, I am pleased to introduce this important legislation with my colleagues and fellow pilots," said Rokita. "This bill eliminates a duplicative and therefore unnecessary medical certification regulation that drives up costs for pilots and prevents the general aviation industry from fulfilling its economic potential."

"For many recreational pilots, the FAA's third class medical certification process is nothing more than a bureaucratic hoop to jump through," said Graves. "It discourages new pilots and does not truly improve safety. As a pilot, I have gone through this process several times. However, like all pilots, I am responsible for determining whether I am medically fit to fly during the time between my mandated medical certifications. Expanding the current exemption makes sense and will promote greater recreational aviation activity across the U.S. without an impact on safety."

In addition to Rokita and Graves, the bill was co-sponsored by Reps. Collin Peterson (D-Minn.), Bill Flores (R-Texas), Richard Hanna (R-N.Y.), and Mike Pompeo (R-Kan.). All four co-sponsors are members of the GA Caucus.

The legislative action comes after the FAA has repeatedly declined to rule on a March 2012 petition filed by AOPA and EAA. That petition asked the FAA to expand the driver's license medical standard already used by sport pilots for nearly a decade. Under the petition, pilots would be able to operate noncommercial VFR flights in single-engine aircraft with 180 horsepower or less, four or fewer seats, fixed gear, and a maximum of one passenger. To participate, pilots would need a valid driver's license and would be required to take recurrent safety training to help them accurately assess their fitness to fly.

More than 16,000 overwhelmingly favorable comments were filed during the public comment period on the petition. But despite strong support from the aviation community and solid evidence that the exemption would maintain or improve safety, the FAA failed to act, so AOPA turned to supporters in Congress for help.

Building support for the General Aviation Pilot Protection Act will be critical to its passage, and AOPA will be calling on members to show their support in January after Congress returns from recess. Look for details about how you can help in upcoming issues of AOPA ePilot and on AOPA.org.
    http://www.aopa.org/-/media/Files/AO...TA_024_xml.pdf
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Default Re: Drivers license - Third Class Medical Proposal

You can find your representative and let then know here:

http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

Feel free to copy, paste, and email the statement below to your representatives.

Reps. Todd Rokita (R-Ind.), a member of the House General Aviation Caucus, and GA Caucus Co-Chair Sam Graves (R-Mo.) on Dec. 11 introduced the General Aviation Pilot Protection Act.

I am in favor of the General Aviation Pilot Protection Act as it will improve participation in general aviation and remove burdens on pilots that I believe do not provide any proven safety benefit.
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)

Just sent off to my Representative a letter asking for support. My medical is coming up so guess I'll have get another one. Hopefully last one
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

Expensive and time consuming Class III medical? Uh.... 1 hour and $120? or is this geared more towards folks who are struggling with medical conditions to get the Class III?

Think about this:

Go to the hospital for chest pains that turn out to be that Tai food you had for lunch. (Happened to an marathon runner/pilot friend of mine) Now he needs to do annual stress test with full EKG to maintain his Class III.

How about your love for bacon? All of a sudden you are on new cholesterol meds that you didn't check to see were on the 1950's tech-level approved list. Oops.

How about winning the battle with cancer?

Now see how much that $120 Class III medical costs.

I could go on and on. This isn't just an old person's problem. There are a million pitfalls that can make a Class III horribly expensive to maintain. It's an outdated, unnecessary, government boondoggle that needs to go away.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

just emailed my rep, in support. for me it's not about the time or the money for the third class medical it is about the about the time and money and the threat of emergency revocation spent to keep my medical after listing a blood pressure maintenance med. on the medical form. makes me wonder if pilots with a 1st class who depend on there medical to keep there jobs list every thing they are taking.

Point taken. I guess I was just surprised how easy I passed the class 3, guess I took it for granted.

I had no trouble when I was younger. Now however, bypass surgery 20 years ago and every year a stress test, blood test, Cardiologist recommendation and wait for 3 to 5 months every year. By the way, the 12 month certification period begins when you submit the paper work, not the day they issue your medical. I sold my Skyhawk and am looking forward to flying the Kitfox (this spring I hope).

I hear you Mr Bill,..I have new parts through out my body ..some made of plastic some made of steel ,,if you get lost in Nevada I could strip down and you could use the scars as a map and have 4 different routes to get to NY lol luckily I never failed a physical ,,and luckily my model 5 is an LSA
    but if by chance this ruling takes hold,..I know of a 4 place tail dragger that screams at me everytime I walk by it's hangar
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

I sent the letter, too. Can you imagine a 6,000# Kitfox with a 180hp engine hanging on the front!
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos